Hernia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hernia

A few weeks ago, we noticed a bump on Remy's tummy (like where a belly button would be). I thought nothing of it until it started getting larger. Luckily, we had an appt with the vet scheduled already in the coming days. The vet said it was just a hernia and there should be no cause for concern or need to remove. However, I've read different things about them and it makes me a bit worried!?

Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I just being over concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

i noticed it on my girl when she was a pup and i would push the bubble back in and after awhile it closed up and she is two now and had no issue since. If you end up getting the dog spayed/ neutered you can always get it fixed for a small fee when they do the surgery..
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
i noticed it on my girl when she was a pup and i would push the bubble back in and after awhile it closed up and she is two now and had no issue since. If you end up getting the dog spayed/ neutered you can always get it fixed for a small fee when they do the surgery..
Well, she's already spayed! She was spayed at 6 weeks. (Not by our choice- but by the shelter we adopted her from). She's 10 months now.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My concern would be the fact it is getting bigger. A hernia is an opening in the stomach wall, and the protrusion is usually fat coming through. Yes, it can close on its own if its small when a pup is young. Yes, is may never be a problem. However if you can actually see it getting bigger, then I would worry that the opening is allowing intestines to poke through which is not a good thing.Intestines can strangulate when they poke through the hole in the stomach wall.
I would be asking for a second opinion if in fact the hernia is getting larger instead of smaller.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if it is getting bigger, i would have it fixed as wyominggrandma is correct although she didn't mention how painful it could be.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have an appointment to be at the vets later today, and I think{might) I have your problem too. I was called and maybe have to work and might have to see if they can fit me in Friday. I would like to hear of anyone that went thru this and the out come too?
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks all. I will keep a close eye on it!!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My sister's 4lb Yorkie mix had a hernia, last summer he was spending the day at my parents and my mom left for a few hours and came back to him writhing and screaming on the floor

She rushed him to the vet and there was a large bulge where the hernia was. The vet immediately took him in for surgery and thankfully it was only healthy fat that came through. She closed it and put a permanent mesh across the area to give it extra support. The surgery was $1200 and he was on two weeks complete rest where he wasn't allowed to walk more then was absolutely necessary. He's fully healed now and back to normal but it was very scary

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine had it. Didn't bother her at all. As she has gotten bigger, it just went away...
bigd3077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Gabriele has one. My breeders vet told her it wasn't anything to be worried about. I am planning on fixing it when she is spayed.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01-08/22/14, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/14, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.