C section and the E.R vet wanting to spay! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default C section and the E.R vet wanting to spay!

Hi there! Unfortunately we had to take Sadie in this morning as she stopped delivering at two pups. Opted for the c section in order to ensure her and the pups health. from the beginning they asked if we wanted to spay her and we said no, then we had to remind them to take it off the paper work numerous times. After about a hour they called and said there was a small tear in the uterus wall and we should spay her if not the tissue could die, but they could stitch her up since it wasn't a through wall tear but risk infection. I declined once again and she became very irritated I didn't want to spay her. It just seemed that she was pushing to fix her from the start. I hope I made the right decision and I will be taking her to her regular doctor on Monday. Has anyone else out there ever ran into this problem? if so could you give your thought or concerns. Thanks!
Sadie N Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I spayed a bitch once during a c-section. The milk never came down. I hope you did the right thing too. I was told that my girl was under for a long time because there were so many bleeders to tie off. Usually, they can do a c-section and reverse the anesthesia pretty quickly.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there a reason you don't want your bitch spayed?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

We've spayed preg. bitches during c-sec. and all went well.
They had milk and managed to nurse puppies and all.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds very familiar and I commend you leaving her intact.You never know if she made it sound worse than it actually was. A few weeks ago I was at the ER because WD had a puncture hole in his scrotum (caused by a tick) and the (female!) vet asked me several times if I wanted to leave him intact." YES, he stays intact" I told her, and didn't get a comment from her.
If any of my intact males need surgery for some reason I write "NO NEUTERING" on the surgery sheet. One vet tech commented once, "But it is so tempting."
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Best wishes for your girl and her puppies, I hope that everything turns out ok.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pleased to report that Sadie is doing great and 12 of the 13 pups survived. Had an appointment with the regular doc today and explained to her what happened with the ER vet, she said we made the right choice and that she is doing great. Had all the Pups looked over and dewclaws removed and they're all healthy little land sharks.
Sadie N Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

12 pups! ****! Hope you have good quality homes lined up for all these puppies...
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

To be fair, if there was a tear or a chance of a tear in the uterus the ER vet did the right thing by offereing to spay again even though you had declined as this could affect her of safely carrying pups in the future due to the chance of rupture and if they hadnt offered it and told you afterwards you may query why they hadnt told you then and there. Many breeders would opt to spay at the time if they new her future as a breeding prospect was risky or unclear. Although its frustrating as an owner to feel hounded, they need to cover their backs too and most people would end up spaying in the end if a bitchs future breeding prospect was risky or unclear. Too many people ready to sue over the tiniest thing these days! Just my veterinary perspective view
Gsd_lover85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm sure it's about what's best for the dog and not a lawsuit. A lot of vets disregard what owners tell them they automatically think all owners are uneducated pet owners who don't know better. My vet told me to spay the dog at 5 months of age which is way too young, and then they told me its not recommended to feed raw diet and said I should feed my dog Purina One LBP. So OP do what you think is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.