Coconut oil - bad reaction? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wouldn't stop the fish oil if it's working, you can add coconut oil too if you want but if fish oil works then keep using that. Though I highly doubt this is a reaction to the coconut oil, at first I though maybe you were experiencing detox but from the sounds of it your dog has dry skin anyways and may have already started having problems before you even started the coconut oil. To add to that, he also may be showing problems that the fish oil was keeping under control (at least to some extent) and by stopping it, they're now popping up with vengeance. I'd get him back on the fish oil to see if it helps.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-GSD View Post
I wouldn't stop the fish oil if it's working, you can add coconut oil too if you want but if fish oil works then keep using that. Though I highly doubt this is a reaction to the coconut oil, at first I though maybe you were experiencing detox but from the sounds of it your dog has dry skin anyways and may have already started having problems before you even started the coconut oil. To add to that, he also may be showing problems that the fish oil was keeping under control (at least to some extent) and by stopping it, they're now popping up with vengeance. I'd get him back on the fish oil to see if it helps.
Yes, yes and yes. It's back to the fish oil for sure and I am going to keep with the coconut oil unless we have further problems.

I actually wondered if the PhytoVet shampoo had caused the flank issue; then having to blow dry him probably dried out his skin more, and then he bites/licks, and then we have a mess.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would agree w/possible detox as well re: the ears. Def. add the fish oil back in and stop the CO for couple of days to allow the liver to catch up. CO kills off bacteria and yeast organisms, when yeasts die they produce over 39 toxins, the liver filters these...when you re-start CO, start at low dose and work back up to where you found symptoms.

Also, apply the CO to the affected area and put a T-shirt on for couple of hrs. to allow to soak in and heal.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

exactly -- coconut oil is anti microbial, anti fungal , anti bacterial ....etc. etc.

the body will detox , often expressed through the skin

cut back on the amount but keep on giving

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the comments. I went back to the 2000 mg of fish oil with dinner and a small amount of coconut oil.

After feeling sorry for myself for having an extra bill this month from the vet, my friends called to tell me their pit bull ripped her chest open on a metal guard rail while running in a park. They could see her heart beating under the exposed muscle. A few thousand dollars later she has been operated on and is resting at home. I will be grateful for the hundred I spent on an itchy but otherwise healthy dog.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

My dog never had a reaction to coconut oil but after about 8 months on it, suddenly wants no part of it. She used to lick it off the spoon and now if its in her food, she refuses to eat it. I even bought another jar just to make sure but nope, she wants nothing to do with it. Its too bad because she is so itchy right now because of the dry air that we are now freezing in our house because I won't run the heater. She still eats about 3000mg fish oil and 400iu vitamin E.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I bought the coconut oil to treat Joey's itching, but am concerned after reading about the "die-off" and the herxing.

My husband has the herxing as a result of suffering from Lyme and Babesia. We do not want to subject Joey to that.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The problem is that coconut oil is omega 6. You are possibly missing the omega 3s in the fish oil. We do both coconut oil and fish oil, with no issue.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful1 View Post
I bought the coconut oil to treat Joey's itching, but am concerned after reading about the "die-off" and the herxing.

My husband has the herxing as a result of suffering from Lyme and Babesia. We do not want to subject Joey to that.
Go slow and allow the body to detox naturally, it is anyhow, hence the itching, but you have to help it along - if yeast issue then the yeast has to be killed off b/c the immune sytem is not keeping it in check and needs assistance...if keeps going then this will cause stress in other parts

Adding dandelion/milk thistle to help repair the liver so it can work efficiently to detox will minimize the herx...occasional (2-3 days here and there) of parsley water (organic) to help rid toxins/bacteria by flushing the kidneys.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

What is "herxing" and "die off"?

Since I made this original post, I have continued 1000 mg fish oil and Claritin every 12 hours (prescribed by vet) and one tablespoon of coconut oil per day and he virtually has no itching.

I do believe the reduced itching it is the combination of all of the above; when it was just fish oil and Claritin or Benadryl or hydroxizine he still had a lot of itching.

Last edited by HankGSD; 03-12-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarity
HankGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.