Broken nail... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Broken nail...

Just wondering what to do for a broken nail on my non GSD. It must be hurting him cause he keeps licking it and doesn't really want me to touch it. It is cracked. Should I try to cut it? I don't really want to do that because I don't usually do the dog's nails. It is the nail that is up on the side, not the ones that touch the floor.....
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dew claw? If it isn't damaged to where it will get snagged on something, I'd probably hold off trimming it for now and just keep it clean. I attempted to trim my labs split nail (using a sharp & quality trimmer) and messed it up. I had to use corn starch to stop the bleeding. Vets/groomers can probably do it w/o any problem though.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
KMG

Default Broken nail

When our dog's nail was cut too short we cleaned it out really well and wrapped it. The only problem was the dog kept chewing off the bandage but I thought of a clever way to fix that problem. If you dab a little baby orajel around the bandage the dog should leave it alone. It's non-toxic and the dogs hate that numb feeling. After they learn what orajel is, then all they have to do is smell the orajel on the bandage and they won't try to chew it off again. I would't apply orajel to the nail directly. I'd use an antibiotic salve after washing it out, and then bandage it. Apply the orajel to the bandage only to keep the dog from chewing it off.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
When our dog's nail was cut too short we cleaned it out really well and wrapped it. The only problem was the dog kept chewing off the bandage but I thought of a clever way to fix that problem. If you dab a little baby orajel around the bandage the dog should leave it alone. It's non-toxic and the dogs hate that numb feeling. After they learn what orajel is, then all they have to do is smell the orajel on the bandage and they won't try to chew it off again. I would't apply orajel to the nail directly. I'd use an antibiotic salve after washing it out, and then bandage it. Apply the orajel to the bandage only to keep the dog from chewing it off.
I was just looking for something to keep mine from pulling the band aid off of her hot spot. The hot spot is on her leg and has returned again. I found these, but they are spendy.

Sorry, the pic is too small. Here is a link instead. Products

Last edited by Nigel; 06-14-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

yep, it's his front dew claw. Looks like just the nail is splitting or tearing... Don't see any blood or anything. But it must bother him from time to time because he has been licking it and when he was running in the snow, he started limping. On solid ground he hasn't had a problem though. I think I will try and keep him out of the snow for now and call the vet on Monday. Not sure if it needs to be trimmed or bandaged or just left alone.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
KMG

Exclamation Pease use caution with strips. They contain cayenne pepper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I was just looking for something to keep mine from pulling the band aid off of her hot spot. The hot spot is on her leg and has returned again. I found these, but they are spendy.

Sorry, the pic is too small. Here is a link instead. Products
We already had orajel around the house and it was a good quick fix. I don't know about putting something with cayenne pepper as an ingredient on the dog. Our dogs have very sensitive stomachs, and our female isn't the brightest dog so I wouldn't put it past her to at least lick it once. The orajel is a lot cheaper as well, and it doesn't even need to be applied to the whole bandage. I just dabbed the smallest amount on where she licked and chewed on her bandage. Now all she has to do is smell orajel on something and she won't put her mouth on it. You also have to wash your hands very well after handling anything with cayenne pepper because it can really hurt your eyes. If the strip is in just the right spot and the dog decides to rub and itch their face I'd be concerned about it going near their eyes.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

the claw of Blizzak was just cracked...

but it has hooked the claw on ice

I went to the vet to snatch the first claw. It just took a pair of pliers and pull.

but next week, the dog hung another claw ...

It fell alone, no damage, no blood, no pain (weird........) :P

We tried to cut the claw ... but the dog didn't want to touch his nail
Vaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
We already had orajel around the house and it was a good quick fix. I don't know about putting something with cayenne pepper as an ingredient on the dog. Our dogs have very sensitive stomachs, and our female isn't the brightest dog so I wouldn't put it past her to at least lick it once. The orajel is a lot cheaper as well, and it doesn't even need to be applied to the whole bandage. I just dabbed the smallest amount on where she licked and chewed on her bandage. Now all she has to do is smell orajel on something and she won't put her mouth on it. You also have to wash your hands very well after handling anything with cayenne pepper because it can really hurt your eyes. If the strip is in just the right spot and the dog decides to rub and itch their face I'd be concerned about it going near their eyes.
I hadn't thought about her potentially getting it in her eyes. They didn't work too well for her anyways, they barely wrapped around her leg and succumbed to the deep snow pretty quickly. I had a few foam band aids and used them instead with a dab of bitter apple. It seems to be working so far. I'll look into the orajel though.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
I think I will try and keep him out of the snow for now and call the vet on Monday. Not sure if it needs to be trimmed or bandaged or just left alone.
My Chinese Crested boy, Spike, broke his nail on his dew claw. I took him in and they cut it off right before the break.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she'll keep it on, I'd use some vetwrap on the area. It may work long enough til you get into the vet, or the sensitivity goes away and she stops messing with it. You can get it really cheap at TSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.