New puppy. Worms! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfstraum, they always have me give 1cc for every 21 pounds. It's a real pain because I usually start them when they are 4-6 pounds so I round up to 7 pounds and give them 1/3 of a cc. Sometimes only 1/5 of a cc, so maybe I need to check out that dosage again.

The reason I remember this is because I do the bitch at the same time, and the thing is graduated to 3 ccs so I add a little bit more to worm the bitch. Anyhow, I freaked at one point when I realized that I double dosed a litter and called the vet and they said the stuff is very safe not to worry about it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
everyone in this scenario tried to save money.

the family that had the pups -- don't want to say what is on my mind - it is not good !
toss the pup out as soon as possible

who knows what other issues there are .

who knows what the temperament is like .

New owner you have just encouraged people like this to continue because there is $$$ in it for them.

My thought is - get this pup to the vet because I bet it has never had a health check . For a worm load to be that heavy you can bet the pups nutrition has been compromised. Likely the pup was on the worst , cheapest food possible . You may want to know if the pup has a good heart, whether or not it may have a hernia , take a stool sample in to test for ALL worms .

It is not going to cost you 300 $$$'s . Not for worming .
Hopefully your dog is okay and hopefully poor breeding and raising will not cost you many $$$$$'s down the line.
Right On!!!!

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there are only 2 types of worms visible to the eye....

roundworms - long thin spaggetti type worms - most common and what the OP saw and described

Tapes - look like rice grains - often seen on the dog's rear quarters...occasionally will be thrown up...they are wider and sort of a zipper like appearance

Hooks and whips are only seen under a scope...not as common in a puppy....yes, they CAN have them - but most pups have rounds....they can have the others, but not commonly while most do have rounds

Worked in vet clinics - small animal and equine on and off most of my life, spent 4 years at Penn Vet putting ex through.....

Strongid is very very safe wormer - often it is given in double and even triple doses for heavy worm load.....unless they have some different brand that has a different concentrate - normally it is 1 cc per 10 pounds....

Pup should definitely go to vet for check up and to get started on vaccinations

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
there are only 2 types of worms visible to the eye....

roundworms - long thin spaggetti type worms - most common and what the OP saw and described

Tapes - look like rice grains - often seen on the dog's rear quarters...occasionally will be thrown up...they are wider and sort of a zipper like appearance

Hooks and whips are only seen under a scope...not as common in a puppy....yes, they CAN have them - but most pups have rounds....they can have the others, but not commonly while most do have rounds

Worked in vet clinics - small animal and equine on and off most of my life, spent 4 years at Penn Vet putting ex through.....

Strongid is very very safe wormer - often it is given in double and even triple doses for heavy worm load.....unless they have some different brand that has a different concentrate - normally it is 1 cc per 10 pounds....

Pup should definitely go to vet for check up and to get started on vaccinations

Lee
Strongid (pyrantel) covers everything, correct? "Broad spectrum"? Except Tapes which is why you have "strongid - t" which is strongid + praziquantel?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

i think the OP should change their user name. i don't think it's
appropriate for this type of forum. OP, take the pup to the Vet.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Strongid (pyrantel) covers everything, correct? "Broad spectrum"? Except Tapes which is why you have "strongid - t" which is strongid + praziquantel?
I think mine is Strongid T and it has a different dosing than Strongid.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.