Yes I know.. more itching and bald spots. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm almost positive he had gotten parvo from the vacc. because after he got the shot about a week and a half later he started having bloody diarrhea and not eating, drinking,etc..... but thanks to all of 'yall for the advice. I'm going to try all that you said and give an update when ever he starts feeling better, and hopefully I can find out what he's allergic to, but I think today I'm gonna go out and try the grain free white fish.?.?.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
I highly recommend a dermatologist. It saved us a lot of time and money with our last dog. Also go raw if you can. It helped my dog immensely and a friend of mine recently went raw and her dog grew back his hair and stopped itching.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
This would be a good idea, I'm sure.

bruce, the vaccine didn't cause the parvo.
A puppy, by the time it's 4mos. of age, should have had 3-4 vaccines, because each successive vaccine builds immunity.
If your puppy wasn't vaccinated until 4mos. of age, it was behind 4 vaccines at 4mos.

This left it's immune system wide open for any infection, and when you give the 1st vaccine, there's a period where the immunity wanes (although at 4mos. it's likely mom's immunity was gone, too) and so because of that, the puppy contracted parvo. This is why series are given, but starting much much younger than 4mos., mom's antibodies override the 1st vaccine when given at 6-8 weeks of age.

How Do Vaccines Work?: a Veterinary Guide to Understanding Vaccinations.

It is important to understand how vaccines work - they don't keep the pet from getting the disease, but when the pet does get the disease, vaccines have trained the body to respond and destroy the disease before it causes harm.

Unless your dog has a basic immune system problem, the vaccine could not have caused the puppy to get actual parvo almost 2 weeks later.

Either way, a dermatologist is your best bet, and perhaps they can explain some of that to you and figure out what's going on with your puppy's fur and skin.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce23 View Post
I'm almost positive he had gotten parvo from the vacc. because after he got the shot about a week and a half later he started having bloody diarrhea and not eating, drinking,etc.....
You're very lucky. If he hadn't had a parvo shot until 4 months of age, he probably contracted it before he got the vaccine, and it was already incubating. That is YOUR fault, not the vet's, or the vaccine's. Parvo is everywhere, and if you don't keep a young puppy up to date on vaccines, he is vulnerable to catching it.

Young puppies are supposed to have a parvo vaccine every 3 weeks after weaning, up until about 4 months of age. Usually it's a series of 3-4 shots. The reason they do it that way is that there are parvo antibodies in the mother's milk, which protects the pup from parvo, but these antibodies fade away after weaning. You will not know exactly how long these will last after the pup is weaned, so you give several parvo vaccines over a period of time, so that the pup is double-protected. If you give the vaccine while the pup still has antibodies from his mothers' milk, it won't "take". The pup has to make his own antibodies. So that is why 3-4 vaccines are given, just as an insurance policy against parvo.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

msvette2u, can there be a thyroid problem in a gsd this young ?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

hunter, humans can get autoimmune thyroid, perhaps dogs can, I don't know...honestly, thyroid isn't my forte (except I have it and my daughter does).

Either way, further evaluations including a vet derm should be of assistance.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.