German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   E.p.i.? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/197606-e-p-i.html)

3dognite 01-03-2013 06:47 PM

E.p.i.?

Rebel is scheduled for blood work for this on Tuesday next week, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for him in the meantime just in case this is what we're facing?

He's continuing to lose weight to the point where the skin/fur on his head looks kind of slack and loose. I've been feeding a combo of kibble (back on Kirkland signature since he won't eat the Nature's Domain), rice/oatmeal mix and cooked meat (venison right now, but it's been chicken, elk or beef). He's getting plenty of water, calcium and treats when he'll eat them.

Oh and he's getting a couple of eggs daily too (he'll only eat them raw though).

Any thoughts on anything else I can be doing to help support his nourishment? He's still pretty bouncy outside, runs the fenceline when we turn the corner at the bottom of the hill, races the up the hill neighbors down the hill and is excited about his "babies" (toys).

3dognite 01-03-2013 07:03 PM

I should add that when he's inside after eating and such, he crashes on the dog beds (preferably the 3 beds piled) and sleeps. Usually when he's in the house he follows me everywhere.

And he does still have diarrhea and terrible gas, no matter what we feed or don't feed.

Heidigsd 01-03-2013 08:22 PM

If he has EPI he is not getting any nourishment from his food no matter how much you feed him, he needs enzyme replacement therapy like Viokase.

Please go over to this group, lots of good info and knowledgeable members about EPI. Forum - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Good luck, I hope he gets better and you can figure out what is going on :hug:

Michaela

3dognite 01-03-2013 08:24 PM

Thanks, I've been there looking. Just wondered if there was something I could do between now and the bloodwork appointment.

llombardo 01-03-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidigsd (Post 2670676)

Please go over to this group, lots of good info and knowledgeable members about EPI. Forum - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

This is a very good forum. I joined when I had questions about mine and why the vet thought she might have it....still not sure on the why as of now. The people over there are amazing and the difference in the dogs after they were diagnosed and a regimen was put into place is like night and day.

3dognite 01-03-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. As the vet and I talked this afternoon he said he was pretty sure that testing for EPI and SIBO both was the next option.

Heidigsd 01-03-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I've been there looking. Just wondered if there was something I could do between now and the bloodwork appointment.
I can't find it right now but they have a list of enzymes you could by and add to his food right now. They are not as strong as the Viokase but better than nothing until your appointment. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: Scroll down to "Back Up Plan" and see if you can get any of these locally. http://www.epi4dogs.com/enzyme.htm

3dognite 01-03-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks!!!
Still trying to maneuver through the pages and find stuff!

llombardo 01-03-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dognite (Post 2670683)
Thanks for the reassurance. As the vet and I talked this afternoon he said he was pretty sure that testing for EPI and SIBO both was the next option.

Go to that site and they will tell you exactly what tests you need.

llombardo 01-03-2013 08:41 PM

This is what one of the members suggested to me:
There are 3 tests that can be done at the same time and it is more cost effective to do the together than separately...and will give you some answers (either pinpoint a problem or rule them out). Needs to be done with a 12 hour food fast (water is ok): cTLI is for the EPI, cobalamin is for B12 levels (low B12 can cause a # of different things) and folate.