German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Itchy Scratchy Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/197584-itchy-scratchy-puppy.html)

ireadbooks 01-03-2013 01:10 PM

Itchy Scratchy Puppy

Our 7 month baby Kaiser has been itching for the past month and a half or so. He started by chewing a nickle-sized bald spot on his side, so we made a vet trip. No fleas, vet did a skin scrape and no mange, diagnosis was dry itchy skin. We got a little bottle of weak steroid/antibiotic something to spray on the spot for a week and started him on Omegaderm packets in his food. Still itchy and with a new bald spot (but the Omegaderm has his coat super silky and soft!), so another vet trip and we came home with Genesis spray. Did the full course and yup, still itchy. Benadryl? Still itchy. He goes to the groomer every two weeks for a moisturizing bath, good brushing, and a nail clip, which helps for a day or so, then back to itchy. If we catch him chewing we can give him the "leave it" command and he'll stop, until we leave the room.

In the middle of all this we transitioned him from Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck. No change, still itchy, but he's never shown signs of food allergies anyway.

Then we had a warm week and we turned the heater off. Bam. Different dog. No itchies. Took him 10-12 hours to calm down with the chewing, but after that he was golden. Until we turned the heater back on. :cry:

We're now trying vitamin E oil on the spots he's chewed bald, twice a day, on the advice of our groomer. It does seem to help immediately when we apply it, and for 1-2 hours after. Should we bite the bullet and buy a nice humidifier? Wait and see if the vitamin e works? Haul him back to the vet? Buy parkas and turn off the heat (you think I'm joking)? What can we do to get my handsome boy's skin and coat back to normal?!

msvette2u 01-03-2013 01:19 PM

It seems partly OCD, try an e-collar (Elizabethan collar) so he can't chew himself, and/or some Hot spot medication - Sulfadene - Sulfodene Skin Medication for Dogs - Epinions.com
is my favorite for Hot spots, it works fast. The dog won't lick/chew while it's on there.

ireadbooks 01-03-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

It seems partly OCD
I thought this in the back of my mind, and I've pondered an e-collar for him. Sometimes he genuinely itches, but other times it seems like he's doing it out of habit. But my goodness, his nickname is "Destruct-o" without an e-collar, I can't imagine him banging around the house in one of those! :eek: Guess we'll find out!

Will definitely swing by Petco and pick up the Sulfadene on my way home today, thanks for the recommendation!

GatorBytes 01-03-2013 02:24 PM

I would think an e-collar would contribute to OCD...imagine you have a mosquito bite and someone ties your hands.

I would be concerned with a compromised immune system...this started 1.5 months ago...am I correct that he had his rabies shot somewhere around that time.

Was he on any spot on flea/tick/heartworm treatments too?

There is pupy after puppy after puppy on the threads that all seem to be around 5 months and all have itchyskinitis...coincidence?

Make a solution of organic raw apple cider vinegar - 50/50 with water - even make the water saline by boiling cup water and 1/4 tsp. of sea salt - this will balance the ph of the skin to fend off bacteria, help w/the itchies AND it's non toxic.

Boost immunity with seacure or bovine colostrum to repair damage of vaccine induced immno suppression and then the immune system can take care of the toxic load of the pesticides

Bear L 01-03-2013 02:33 PM

Since heat can dry up a house, in Asia we put a tub of water in every room to give some moisture to the air. Maybe you can try this and see if it helps (put a bucket of water in every room) before trying a pricey humidifier.