Tail amputation? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Fingers crossed that the tail can be saved but if you do have to have it amputated, I don't think Mojo would miss a beat We just had Sasha's leg amputated because of cancer in September and after the stitches healed, she's more full of spunk than she was before the surgery! She doesn't have a painful leg to drag around anymore and she can still beat every single one of our dogs to the ball She still swims and hikes and runs without an issue. People sometimes react negatively but she is much happier without her leg

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Best wishes for your girl Mojo.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

Well the tail is gone!
After they shaved the area for surgery the Vet discovered a few more lumps that looked suspicious - so we decided to go the amputation route.
Her butt looks quite cute now, she's got a little stump like a rottie - but it's fuzzy I think it's gonna be a very wriggly butt instead of a waggy tail

I have not been able to have a really good look at it yet, I'll check it out and take some pictures in the morning if she's feeling a bit better.
She still very groggy and asleep in her crate - I have an elizabethan collar here in case she wants to bother her sutures. She had pain relief and I got some painkillers for the next few days.
She's been a bit confused by the lack of tail, she's fine laying down but when she gets up she spins around to her butt.
It's so hot here, over 104 degrees Makes keeping her comfortable in the crate pretty tricky. (we don't have a good aircon)

Quote:
Ask your vet about giving neurontin (gabapentin) for a few weeks post-surgery
msvette2u would you recommend this routinely or just if she shows symptoms of phantom pain?
My Vet is very good at what she does but they are a real country vet practice, very matter of fact - she didn't mention anything about drugs incase of phantom pain, is that a common occurrence?

Now it's just fingers crossed that nothing bad has spread to any other part of her body - we should get the pathology results off the tail on tuesday. Fingers crossed it was a localised thing!!!!
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Well I'd start her on it before the other pain killers wore off and keep her on for a week or two, just in case? Because once it starts, if it does, it may be harder to stop it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am sorry to read this and hope she has a smooth recovery.
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

She's doing well so far, much brighter today than yesterday - she was really out of it and the horrible heat didn't help
She's still on pain relief obviously but is eating and drinking well now.
Today she walked around with me a little but she still gets "surprised" and goes to check on her tail so she's wearing a bucket

And I think her butt is gonna look really cute once the hair grows back she's gonna have a little fluffy bob
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
She's doing well so far, much brighter today than yesterday - she was really out of it and the horrible heat didn't help
She's still on pain relief obviously but is eating and drinking well now.
Today she walked around with me a little but she still gets "surprised" and goes to check on her tail so she's wearing a bucket

And I think her butt is gonna look really cute once the hair grows back she's gonna have a little fluffy bob
Tasha's bob is adorable. Especially when she starts wagging it. I think your girl will be just fine. It is just going to take some time.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.