For those of you who visit Emergency Vets -- RANT - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

in a people er we were trying to revive a 3 year old child. a woman walked into the trauma room demanding her antibiotic so she could go home as she had been there for 2 hours already. if i described some people we deal with, the language i would need to use would be an instant ban. verivus, some people are just clueless and it seems they come out of the wood work at the worst possible times.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

huntergreen that's just incredible - people are so **** selfish.
How did someone not just punch that woman in the face??
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have had those waits, but when I took in Cyra with blood POURING out of her mouth from a bad tongue laceration, they said "can we take her right now" and scooped her out of my arms and got her into the surgery before I had even finished the intake paperwork. I was very grateful.

Most of my experiences at animal ERs have left me impressed with how well the animals are triaged. I imagine MOST people feel that way and then you get the self-important jerks....

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I worked at a vets for a short time many years ago then came my first necropsy(just watching), I nearly fainted(which is one of the reasons I can't do a raw diet) and then I watched a family hysterically wailing as their dog was put to sleep... It was then that I decided I just couldn't do it, this wasn't the job for me.

So I commend you guys and what you do! I can't even fathom griping about waiting times at any ER. Some people are just really selfish and self entitled.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not a perfect person. I have my faults. But I never get upset or complain when waiting in a ER - human or animal. I know that I'm in the place I need to be if things get worse.

The very first visit to my current canine vet was due to an emergancy. I came home from work and my Aussie (heart dog) was very ill. I called them (knowing they were still opened) and they said come now. Hubby scooped him up, placed him on my lap (he was a large Aussie) and we rushed over there. After we arrived, hubby came to my side of the truck and we were trying to get him transfered from my arms to hubby's. Before we even shut the truck door the VET himself was there at the truck. He and his techs grabbed him, rushed him through a crowed waiting room (with us in tow) and started working on him. Sadly, we lost him. But not because we (they) didn't try.

Many, many times I'll have an appt. at the equine vet and have to wait. I plan to wait. I want to know that any vet I use will take ME in first in the event I have an emergancy. I expect no less if someone else (pet or human) needs to be seen first before me.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh, I thought this was going to be different, like last time I took my dog in.

Me: My dog ripped out his stitches and needs to be restitched.
Tech: I'll take him back.
(30 minutes later)
Doctor: It looks like he's ripped open his stitches......(more talking about why, how, etc. bla bla bla )
Me: Yes, yes, can you please just restitch him.
Doctor: I think the best thing will be to restitch him.

Me and the dog would have been on our way home if it wasn't for all the useless talking the doctor did.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can honestly say I've never had a long wait at an animal ER. I only use them when it's an emergency, and therefore we haven't been sitting in the waiting room waiting to be seen for long.

I have had long waits in the ER while they were doing procedures, but that's to be expected with any medical care. Things take time.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

The one time I went to ER the front desk was telling me they had two rattlesnake bites in the back and another one on the way, I felt really awful for the owners of those dogs. She probably knew I was anxious to have my puppy seen. I think her telling me about the other patients in a conversational tone helped me understand the waiting time. I was hoping I'd be the only patient there that day, LOL Of course I expect a wait at an ER or even the regular vet, who does take emergenies during the course of the day. Come to think of it my regular vet often will tell me what the emergency is, as well, when the wait is long. It's hard to feel upset about a long wait when you know someone down the hall from you is saying goodbye to thier friend.

We sure do appriciate all you do and are Soooo glad you are there!
GSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

The pet ER in Bangor, Maine took care of my heart dog when he was having continuous siezures at the end of his life. They were amazingly kind and considerate. They even let me in the treatment area throughout the night to check on him and say good-bye- and with my GSD by my side.

I don't know of any other pet ER that lets people back there to see critically ill pets and I thank them so much for giving me that time with him.

He died despite all my hopes and efforts, but they treated him and me in the best way possible and were always very professional.

I couldn't do their job, and I am so thankful that there are people out there who manage to treat such sick animals and maintain a caring attitude.

I really should send them a thank you note. My heart was so broken at the time, I could barely say his name for months without breaking down. It's still hard. He was an amazing animal.

ER vet staff should know that you are appreciated, even if you don't hear it as people tend to be very distraught when they come in with their pets. It must be a really difficult job. Thank you!
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
huntergreen that's just incredible - people are so **** selfish.
How did someone not just punch that woman in the face??
we were too busy and focused at the time. security got right on it.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.