German Shepherds Forum banner

Itchy itchy itchy!!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SergioCanello 
#1 ·
This is new. In the past month Ceasar is itching his mid section insessantly. There is no flea dirt. I FLTS on all three dogs. He is white. If he had flea dirt I'd see it. I haven't changed feed, he is on TOTW dry.

Could it be heating?

Allergies?

I have changed food to a lamb/rice formula and give benadryl daily. It has helped a little.

Talk to me. :help:

#4 ·
If your home lacks humidity, that is also a reason for scratching. My dogs all tend to be itchy early in fall til winter hits...I have a humidifier running for my parrots and it does help. So many reasons for it, and it is frustrating.
Just the past couple weeks, I've seen an improvement, now that Winter is actually here(frozen ground outside)

#5 ·
My dogs are scratching bad too. Nikon even has a few tiny patches of hair loss on his face. Part of our problem is that I've been home since Dec. 21 which means I have the heat on all day. Normally the heat is off while we're at work. The heat can be really dry, and we got a new space heater that's very dry electric heat. I don't have a humidifier but I've started having Nikon lie on the bathmat while I take a steamy shower and I'm giving the dogs coconut oil with their kibble and I have a spray bottle of very watered down apple cider vinegar that I spray on their food and spray on their itchy spots.

#6 ·
Itching is caused very frequently by food intolerances. Food intolerances are mainly due to the chemicals contained in most dog foods. Try to give your dog an high quality holistic food based on sea fish protein instead of meat. Or you can try to make your home made recipe with boiled brown rice, carrots and wild caught sea fish(like tilapia, sole, snapper) all boiled. No meat or snacks are allowed. You will see improvements in a day or two. For more info about chemicals contained in dog food go to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.