German Shepherds Forum banner

Urgent HELP.. pleaseeeee

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, i have 9 months old black german shepherd female: Inna, she's not a pure breed. She's been mixed with http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/sarplaninac.htm]Sharplaninaz[/URL]. Her problem is: LEGS.. What happend? Well, she was sick about month ago, and suddenly stopped using her hind RIGHT leg. While hind leg was still in pain, the pain moves on to the LEFT foreleg.
I took her to the vet. He diagnosed sore throat, but nothing about those legs. Then he gave her 5 injections, for 3 days. Month passed, no problems. Till yesterday. Now, she's in a same situation. I dont know if its her sore throat again but now she can't use her RIGHT foreleg. She's limping very bad on that leg. While lying down, she cries. Could that be "panosteitis" since the pain shifts itself to left/right hind/fore leg? Please give me some advice what i should do and how to determine what is this with her on my own? And how to help her. Because my vet will be absent for a week or so, and no other is available to. Will she die? Please help meeeee. She means a lot to me!!!!

#2 ·
We really can't diagnose over the internet though it may be pano.

Rest and an aspirin may help but get to a vet if you are still worried.

:)

#3 ·
I agreee, it does sound like Pano. Vitamin C will help reduce inflammation and shorten the bout. But C and aspirin are not recommended to be given together. C will hinder the absorption of aspirin so it will build up instead in the gut. Personally I would go with C and let the dog self limit exercise. Start at 500mg(human grade natural with rosehips) and over a week up it to 1000mg per meal time...so 2000mg per day total. Give it with a meal as it can be hard on the gut when introduced.
What are you feeding your pup? Stay with lower calcium if possible.

#4 ·
I think the only way to diagnose pano with certainty is an xray? As MRL said, we can't diagnose it.

However, the treatment for Pano is rest, pain relief, high doses of fish oil for inflammation and high doses of vitamin C. It certainly is not going to do any harm to give her Vitamin C and Fish oil. And i would be very careful about what those injections were. Were they corticosteroid shots? Those can cause long term damage to bone.

#5 ·
Thank you for your replies. Im not sure what was those shots but, she was ok then. So i should start with 500mg 2 times a day, after a week 1000mg 2 times a day? Correct? I'll try with fish oil too.
She eats canned beef, ~300/350gr 3 times a day.
She's regularly vaccinated, and was on some sort of vitamin diet when she was 5to6 months. I think that had something to do with the bones, to make them grow strong. Non of her parents, had that pano. Even her grandparents are pretty healthy.. How could this happend to her?

#6 ·
If she's been on higher calcium with that vitamin diet it could be the cause.
I would start with 500mg of C per day and then up it after a few days...you want her system to get use to it.

#7 ·
If it is pano (and it certainly sounds like it could be), don't worry about why she has it. Jane may be right about the "vitamin" diet being the cause, but sometimes it just happens. Pano can be uncomfortable but it's not life threatening, and she will eventually grow out of it. In the meantime, supplementing with fish oil and vitamin C won't hurt and may help.

Next time you're at the vet and he wants to give her injections, ask him what they are and what he expects them to do. It's hard to know what kind of treatment your puppy has gotten so far when you don't know what kind of injections she's been getting. What did he say when you asked him about the apparent pain in her legs?

You are the best advocate for your pet, if you don't understand what your vet is doing and why, please don't hesitate to ask questions. You don't have to just accept everything he says. "Sore throat" seems like a weird diagnosis for a puppy who won't use one of her legs.

#8 ·
Oh , dear , to be so frightened that you are afraid your dog is going to die.

Instantly I thought of Panosteitis (pano also known as long bone) . This condition is typically shifts from leg to leg - waxes and wanes , meaning sometimes it disappears, or is just minor and then an hour later the dog does not put weight on the limb , or want to get up, or want to eat .

It goes away on its own with time . Panosteitis in Young Dogs Merck Veterinary Manual

your dog fits the profile in age and size , the Sharplaninaz being a big dog - !

Anti inflammatorys go a long way to easing the pain.
Omega 3 from fish oil -- or give herring (fatty fish) .

I see you are in Serbia so you have Rose hips available , and Aronia , which are plentiful and high in anti oxidant and Vitamin C .

Can you get a German product called Wobenzyme ?

hope that makes you feel some relief . what shots did the vet give ?

#10 ·
Oh , dear , to be so frightened that you are afraid your dog is going to die.

Instantly I thought of Panosteitis (pano also known as long bone) . This condition is typically shifts from leg to leg - waxes and wanes , meaning sometimes it disappears, or is just minor and then an hour later the dog does not put weight on the limb , or want to get up, or want to eat .

It goes away on its own with time . Panosteitis in Young Dogs Merck Veterinary Manual

your dog fits the profile in age and size , the Sharplaninaz being a big dog - !

Anti inflammatorys go a long way to easing the pain.
Omega 3 from fish oil -- or give herring (fatty fish) .

I see you are in Serbia so you have Rose hips available , and Aronia , which are plentiful and high in anti oxidant and Vitamin C .

Can you get a German product called Wobenzyme ?

hope that makes you feel some relief . what shots did the vet give ?
I checked both links and exactly that is happening to my dog. Now i know she will be ok after couple of months. Thank you.

#9 · (Edited)
Another thing bothers me now. She drinks a lot of water and refuse to eat anything but chicken (white) meat. Her ears are cold/warm time to time so i suspect she's having a fever. What to do now. I appreciate every suggestion, and will try to get that Wobenzyme if they sell it in Serbia. I gave her 500mg of vitamin C today and also just a bit of a Paracetamol . She seems more comfortable now. I called my vet to make appointment (i persuade him) and she's getting examination tomorrow. Also i will ask him about those shots and get back to ya. I'm glad to hear from you people.
Right now im just a bit worried 'bout that fever. Hope it goes away.

#11 ·
Make sure you let your vet know exactly what you gave your dog, how much and how often...just in case they prescribe something such as rimadyl.
Giving analgesics then an nsaid can be risky so be sure you are informing the vet(and that the vet informs you exactly what they are doing/giving and why).
Personally I wouldn't want an nsaid prescribed. Too many side effects and I'd rather the dog self limit due to the pain they are feeling, instead of masking the pain and the dog being more active than he should. He needs rest while recovering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.