My GSD's mother died of a heart attack quite young is my dog at risk - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My GSD's mother died of a heart attack quite young is my dog at risk

I found out that sadly my dog's mother died prematurely of a Heart Attack (I think she was about 4 years old)

She was a beautiful dog and many of her features (colour/shape etc) appear to have been passed down to our male GSD from her litter.

Our boy is now almost 7 months old and a healthy happy dog but I am concerned that he may be at risk of premature heart attack, what measures can I take to help prevent this (apart from the obvious diet/exercise/Heartworm prevention and vaccinations/vet care thing etc)?

My previous GSD male lived more than 12 years and the thought of our current pup dying before his time breaks our hearts....he is just lovely....such personality and gorgeous looking to

Could heart problems with the mother be genetic or just an isolated incident? Albeit a tragic one

Any advice would be much appreciated....and happy new year everyone

Last edited by muso; 01-01-2013 at 03:31 AM.
muso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

get a physical to make sure there are no irregularities.
include co-enzyme Q in the diet , feed omega 3 essential fatty acid

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
get a physical to make sure there are no irregularities.
include co-enzyme Q in the diet , feed omega 3 essential fatty acid
Thanks, I will get a physical at the next Vet visit, how do I include the co-enzyme Q and omega 3 in his diet...what pet food has this in it?
At the moment he is on pro plan adult large breed dry food and chicken mince and/or chicken necks as well as bones to chew for his teeth etc
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Make sure they do a full EKG on your dog and all the blood tests. If your really worried have them put a 24hr monitor on it. The monitor shows what the heart does during everything.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wonder what caused the heart attack in so young a dog? Dilated cardio myelopahthy?

If the line is a carrier of DCM, would there be any sign of it in a 7 mo. pup? I honestly don't know--ask your vet about his.

OTOH, I've read that DCM isn't always hereditary---it can appear in a dog who suffered damage from (but survived) heartworms or distemper. Maybe ask the breeder about whether the dam suffered these things?
Causes of Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - VetInfo

(I know only a little about DCM--I've read a bit only because I lost a doberman many years ago at a young age very suddenly, and subsequently learned too many of them carry this gene.)
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I wonder what caused the heart attack in so young a dog? Dilated cardio myelopahthy?

If the line is a carrier of DCM, would there be any sign of it in a 7 mo. pup? I honestly don't know--ask your vet about his.

OTOH, I've read that DCM isn't always hereditary---it can appear in a dog who suffered damage from (but survived) heartworms or distemper. Maybe ask the breeder about whether the dam suffered these things?
Causes of Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy - VetInfo

(I know only a little about DCM--I've read a bit only because I lost a doberman many years ago at a young age very suddenly, and subsequently learned too many of them carry this gene.)
I doubt the mother would have had distemper or heartworm the Kennel where I got him from is one of the best, but I will arrange a vet check and find out about DCM, thanks for your advice
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

muso i won't venture a guess as to what caused a young dog to pass. i would ask the breeder if they know what caused the heart problem. what you need to ask your self is, do you really want to know if your pup has an untreatable problem. i know i wouldn't.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
muso i won't venture a guess as to what caused a young dog to pass. i would ask the breeder if they know what caused the heart problem. what you need to ask your self is, do you really want to know if your pup has an untreatable problem. i know i wouldn't.
Yes I will ask the breeder what caused the early heart attack, cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.