Sick Puppy.. Vomiting and diarrhea. Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick Puppy.. Vomiting and diarrhea. Help

I need some help with my 5 month old puppy. The last 2 days he has had liquid stool. And just last night he couldnt sleep and vomited about 6 times through the night. He was also wimpering and couldnt sit still in his crate all night. I dont think he got ahold of anything bad because he is usually at my side at all times. His diet wasnt really fluctuated either.

He is usually silent, calm, and sleeps no problem when im in the room with him. I could tell he was in alittle pain. i felt around his stomach area to see if there was any swelling or if he winced. Nothing. When I take him out he does business as usual, except he pooped numerous times and it was almost all liquid. I examined it for blood or worms. Nothing. He has been dewormed for round worms and is up to date on his shots.

He is also showing less excitement when I let him out of his crate in the morning. And when he is done with his business outside, its like he doesnt want to come in. Which is unlike him.

My vet is out of town until wednesday or else I would take him in now. He is my second GSD, but my first health issue with vomiting and diarrhea. I have read up on symptoms and procedures, but I wanted to get some insight more specific to GSD

Please Help.

Thanks,
Mike
mda0303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would find a different vet and go NOW! Vomiting plus liquid stool plus obvious mood changes is not a good combination. Better to be safe than sorry.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have an ER vet in your area? I wouldnt mess around with that for sure.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like parvo. Get him to an ER vet or another vet.
It could also be a blockage of some sort in which case the dog will die without treatment.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

We went to the ER last night. Parvo was negative. There has to be a block. The Xrays werent very conclusive.

He has not pooped in about 30 hours. I take him out every hour and he has alittle red brown liquid that comes out. I cant sense that he is in any pain. Is there anything I can do to avoid surgery?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Read my thread, your dog is sounding EXACTLY the same as mine. She hasnt stooled in over a day now and when she does its liquid and so brown it looks a little red in colour. Has she had a vaccination?

My poor little pup wont eat, wouldnt drink untill now for some reason, shes been sleeping loads and just ill. Today is the first day in five days shes drunk on her own and im scared there might be a more sinister reason behind why she is.

Read my thread for more info (few threads down on this forum branch), might have the same symptons

Hope your dog gets better
Welshy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

mda0303:

What did the vet do for your puppy?

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

They first did a Parvo test and it was negative. Then did xrays. Xray didnt show much other than some gas buildup. I told them I wanted to avoid surgery if at all possible. I have no idea how i would be able to afford it. Although I am prepared to do what I have to do.

I told him I had appt with his normal vet wed morning. So last they gave him some fluids under his skin and something to calm his stomach a bit.

He vomited sunday night all night. thats it. Im almost 100% sure hes held everything down since. But he has not gone #2 at all since sunday. Just brown / red liquid discharges that doesnt even really smell like feces. Im almost afraid to feed him... Hes had light portions of boiled chicken and rice since sunday. Where is it going???

Hes very run down and low energy. I have been putting pressure around his digestive area to see if he is in any pain and it doesn't seem like he is.

Is there anything I can do before im forced into surgery?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They shouldn't be doing surgery until your pup has at least had a sonogram to see whats going on.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welshy23, your thread is has made me very concerned of an intussusception
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.