Hello from Augusta, GA ( 6 yr old dog w/Perianal Fistulas) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from Augusta, GA ( 6 yr old dog w/Perianal Fistulas)

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the world of GSD's- having been a Rottie owner for 20+ years. We adopted a rescue almost 6 years ago- got him through a Rott rescue, but he appears to be Rottie/ GSD mix. Several months ago, Benjamin was diagnosed with Perianal Fistulas. Ben has come along way from the initial onset- the fistulas are closed and the swelling and irritation is 75 % resolved. Unfortunately, he had a terrible reaction to the pred and that is no longer a treatment option. He dropped 30 lbs over a 2 week period and developed some secondary problems that we have been successful in resolving, but it has been rough for him! We are currently trying to wean him off the oral cyclo/ keto regimen and onto the topical treatment with the hope that we will be able to maintain him with that and diet. I would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this disease and can offer guidance about meds, diet, and most importantly- how to keep him happy and healthy for the long run.
We also have a 9 year old Rotti, ( Sage), who is loving the home cooked meals that has replaced the kibble they used to eat.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Berni Vipond

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.
BensMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! I also have a dog with PFs and am currently treating with diet, herbs, and acupuncture. The traditional route was not working.
There is a vet near you using laser treatment, and I am told, with success. I will try to find the contact info.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no experience with perianal fistulas, but wanted to say hello and welcome!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

My 9YO Rottie was diagnosed with PF, was being treated with pred and Atopica. We were getting some results(not great), but sunday morning I awoke to find tremendous edema in his left front leg and shoulder. He could not even stand up. 2 days later he was gone. He passed in the ICU of the veterinary hospital.
hungrydriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like maybe osteosarcoma. Condolences.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.