Puppy illness after second vaccination jabs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy illness after second vaccination jabs

Hello, my puppy who is now around 10 weeks old has just had her second puppy jab and is now ill a day after. First time round she was fine after.

It was about 11am on the 27th (second puppy jab was then). She was fine and eat and drunk like normal that evening around 7. In the morning (28th) she threw up twice and eliminated twice. She stopped being interested in food all of the 28th and drunk water untill about 11am (28th) then she stopped aswell. She has slept all day (28th) but is looking okay in herself and will get up and roam, even try very timidly to fight the cat which she loves doing when shes fine. I left (whilst monitering) her untill about 10pm (28th) and gave her water with a tiny bit of salt in for her fluids shes lost/not taken but threw it up straight away (may of been too salty) so after 20 mins tried again with even less salt and she has kept it down. She also has been out, 10pm (28th) and eliminated diarrhea twice, there was no blood in this that i could see. Now im worried about parvo but her first jabs had the vaccine for it in that... I called the vet and they said bring her in the morning if shes still the same, but shes showing symptoms of parvo and ive read horror stories online! But other people and posts have said that this reaction can happen with jabs...

Anyone else had similar problems? Sorry for the long read and rant but im just a bit worried. God knows what im going to be like when i have a baby of my own!

Thanks Sam
Welshy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd be taking her in tomorrow regardless. Your vet needs to document her side effects and possibly illness from the vax.
I'd just let her lick ice cubes through the night and keep her comfortable...but get her in as soon as you can in the morning. And don't let her walk in there...carry her and bring a blanket for her when you do put her down. How old is she? 10 weeks?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I'd be taking her in tomorrow regardless. Your vet needs to document her side effects and possibly illness from the vax.
I'd just let her lick ice cubes through the night and keep her comfortable...but get her in as soon as you can in the morning. And don't let her walk in there...carry her and bring a blanket for her when you do put her down. How old is she? 10 weeks?
Thank you for your prompt reply. She was born on the 10/12 so around 10 weeks yes. I shall take her first thing. I have been forcing some water down her and shes keeping it down. She just wont willingly drink it which is a bit disconcerting. Why would she react so badly to the second jab?

The jabs shes been given is vanguard? If you know about these. The vet is a reputable so im not too worried about the make of the vax. I have always carried her into the vet and not let her on the floor or touch any other dogs that are in there. Although we have another dog who lives at home with her and is a chocolate lab 7 years old who is vaccinated fully, a Siamese house cat who is fully vax. She has also seen some family friends dogs who have also been vax'd fully.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You aren't in the US are you? Some dogs just have different reactions to vaccines....I hope your pup feels better in the morning, but I'd still take her in to the vet so they can take her temp and document her reaction.
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd take her right in the morning. Sounds like she's having a reaction to the vaccine. And I think I would titer before I gave her another. Was it a combination vaccine? Or only for one disease?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You aren't in the US are you? Some dogs just have different reactions to vaccines....I hope your pup feels better in the morning, but I'd still take her in to the vet so they can take her temp and document her reaction.
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
No, UK. Yes I will, I hope it's nothing that will harm her long time! But hopefully it's vaccine related!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I'd take her right in the morning. Sounds like she's having a reaction to the vaccine. And I think I would titer before I gave her another. Was it a combination vaccine? Or only for one disease?
First was a combo for about 7 different things, not sure about the second but I imagine the same just booster. If this isn't the case I know the first jab didn't t not include rabies and something else I can't remeber... So it may be just that or 2-3 extra. It was called vangaurd 7 cvp-L the first vax. No sure about the second.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look at Dr Dodds site....she is the vaccine guru!
I'd never give a pup a 7 way. And remember when you do give the rabies, no other vaccines should be given two weeks prior or after...give that one alone, especially now that you've seen how your puppy reacts.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My boy had a similar sounding reaction to his second puppy shots too. My vet sent away to let the manufacturers know (Virbac here) and I titered him instead of giving him the third dose.
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for all the replys.

Shes been to the vet, she isnt too dehydrated. She weighed 6.7kg on the visit on the 27th for the jabs and when she went in 20 mins ago she weighed 6.3kg.

It cost 80! Two jabs, anti inflam and one to stop her throwing up. and she also got given some doggy anti biotic paste and anti biotic pills both to be taken twice daily. Hopefully this will help her! She is now resting again, when she wakes and perks up, she'll want food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.