Puppy illness after second vaccination jabs - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My vet wanted to do a 7 way on Karlo when he was a pup. I know I had a big red X on my records when I declined certain vax. And I was charged for an exam every time I went in for the vaxing, even though there was no exam given. I called them out on it when I told them no way was I going to give a rabies vax with the last set of shots. They waived the last exam fee and really, hadn't I been proactive, my dog would have been over vaccinated and I'd be over charged as per usual.
If clients aren't knowledgeable, there is a risk of "too much too harm" instead of "first do no harm".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

While the pup is on meds. he may not have been treated properly for vaccine reaction...your Vet HAS to note this on the file AND report it to the manufacturer as they may pick up the tab for your dogs expences...provided he didn't contract something at the clinic while his immune system was under suppression from the first round...will find treatment your vet should have followed which he may have, but abx. isn't on that - it could be a blood bacterial infection from the needle itself - so... yet?

Anyhow...you can try a couple things to boost his health regardless...
one is colostrum....read this and if you can find in UK, then make sure it is from abx. hormone free grass fed animal

BOVINE COLOSTRUM: THE FORGOTTEN MIRACLE

another that has the benefits of seacure and colostrum...
Proper Nutrition: SeaVive® - Comprehensive Immune Support

Seacure on it's own - comes in powder form so you can adjust to size - not sure about the above combo...

Seacure for Pets 100g powder by Proper Nutrition
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Any update?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Default Update

Right, so on the monday morning she went into the vet and stayed in on a drip from 9.30 am till 5.30 that evening, When she was in the vet found blood on the end of the anal thermometer which worried me immensely as she now has all the signs of parvo.

So at the vets they took some tests and from what they discovered is that she had high count of white blood cells and everything else was normal which they said indicated a bacterial infection and not a virus so it was a bit of a relief. She was on a drip all day.

The vet said she had eaten and drunk and been given some other form of anti biotics. When she came out she was as normal yet 0.7kg less in weight and whimpering. Got her home and she was fine and acting like her normal self.

BUT same thing happened again, after the hours pass the effects of this "miracle" drug as i call it and shes back to being bad! Throwing up, sleeping. The vet gave me another type of anti biotic which shes been on for a day but im sick of everything.

In my opinion i feel the vet is completely shafting me for my money and im VERY angry and upset about it. Twice shes been and they STILL cannot diagnose whats wrong with her or put a name to her illness. All i get is if's and maybes for what it can be and to be honest in my mind its not good. Ive paid all in all £320 GBP for her to be in their "care" and all thats happened twice is they've pumped her full of wonder drugs, gave me some anti biotics and seeming as it'll do and telling me to watch her. This isnt funny anymore, espeically as my insurance wont pay out for this as i was ONE DAY OUT the 14 waiting period for it to kick in.

If she goes back in she wants me to do a stool sample over three amounts, but this is proving hard as when she went to stool when she got home it was completely water. They also want £100 for this and then they said X-ray! I cant afford this expense anymore. Why cant they find out whats wrong with her?! surely its not that difficult, we dont go to the doctors, especially the second time with test results and still not be able to diagnose or help ease pain in the slightest?! And when i bought her in the first time why couldnt they do the tests! She was oviously a poorly puppy, what makes me even angrier than i already am is that on the first visit i suggested that she may have parvo! the vet told me that she doesnt and has been jabbed for it!!! Second time they told my mother who took her as i was at work that "She may have parvo". So i hope there's a law suit for medical negligence there?..

Anyways rant over, im hoping that these new anti-b's are just taking time to kick in and hoping by this afternoon she'll show signs of improvement. She now (the day after the day visit to the vet) shes stopped eating and drinking again but does move around more. So i dont know what to make of it.

Does anyone have any ideas in what to do with either the dog, the medication, the illness and whether im expecting too much from a vet or i should go somewhere else and sue them for being money grabbing, cluess idiots.

Regards, an angry, exhausted, upset GSD owner
Welshy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

This is her hemotology results and what the vet gave her -

As you can see the bits in high are apprently her high white blood cells. I dont understand the graph but thats what the vet pointed out.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Her WBC being elevated indicate infection other than parvo. Parvo causes a marked depression in WBCs.
That's about all I got other than, it seems she has an infection, and if your vet can't dx her, they are treating symptoms and hope things get better. And they may. They may not if she has developed a chronic issue from the lepto vaccine or just out of the blue (can happen) or was exposed to something.
Perhaps you could find another vet??

What are her symptoms?? Does she have access to chewing things that could get stuck inside her? An object stuck could cause necrosis (tissue death) which can trigger a WBC elevation I believe.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

I think it may be something she had swallowed then, i cant think of anything else really. I feel her tummy and there is something tube like which is almost hard which is about four inch NE of her vagina. Its only on the left side of HER body (her point of view looking down). Now she got given something that made her eat ALOT yesterday and today eaten nothing. Now she's had diarhea twice and its been completely brown water nothing even partially solid. Could it be something blocking? If it was an infection blocking a tube surely all the anti biotics shes had should be moving it by now.

Another thing is that she is drinking willingly and will drink a fair amount. If she moves to fast or gets picked up funny to go to the toilet she will be sick a lot of the time.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Treatment of Vaccinosis
The diagnosis of vaccinosis is an exclusionary one — i.e. nothing will be found upon other testing to explain the symptoms. The animal is given the oral homeopathics, Thuja (for all vaccines other than rabies), and Lyssin to detox the rabies “miasm”. IF there are no holistic veterinarians in the area, these homeopathics can be obtained from NaturalRearing.com.
Our therapy typically uses steroids in tapering doses over 4-6 weeks to stop the inflammatory process and clinical symptoms. Therapy begins with an injection of dexamethasone phosphate first, and if the animal improves right away, is continued with prednisone at 0.5 mg per pound twice daily for 5-7 days, then tapered gradually over the next month to every other day. The use of steroids will cause an increase in water intake and urination, but the animal should be able to handle the drug at these tapering doses for a few weeks. IF a holistic veterinarian wants to try an alternative therapy to steroids, this approach can also work. Try it for several days to see if it will work.
We advise that these patients receive no further vaccine boosters, except for rabies, where exemption can be sought on a case-by-case basis but may not be granted in the specific locale.

In black bold is something you can try to to detox the vax.
In Blue bold is what your vet SHOULD have done to begin with as these symptoms were acute (within 24hrs) of vax.
Your vet then should have marked your file, noted the batch number of the vax., contacted the manufacturer to find out the treatment protocol for a reaction and then requested compensation for treatment on your behalf. YOU have to enforce this with your vet.

Now the abx. w/a possible bacterial infection likely from lepto or the needle itself - Still should NOT be your problem - but proove it. In the interim, your puppies immune system is taking a beating along w/the abx. and what it is doing to the gut (hence watery poop), this is cycling the ill health as 60-80% of the immune systems health is based on the gut - what goes in, what gets absorbed and what gets utilized....good bacteria help w/the breakdown and uptake of nutrients - the abx. will kill off the probiotic.

I gave you some supplimental suggestions especially SeaCure - You have to boost the immune system so it can get to work on the illness so you can reduce the toxic load on your pup (more meds = more toxic load, weaker immune system=more meds.)

Reinhardt then recommends three supplements that she considers crucial for rapid healing and recovery: Seacure, probiotics, and digestive enzymes.
Seacure, described in “Securing Seacure” (April 2003) and “Accelerated Wound Healing” (August 2006), is a very fishy smelling powder made from fermented deep sea white fish. Because the fermentation process predigests the fish and breaks it into amino acids and peptides, which the body uses as building blocks to repair damaged tissue and speed healing, it requires no digestive effort and is assimilated on contact.
“I started taking Seacure seriously,” says Reinhardt, “when I gave it to some cats who were dying. They literally responded within 15 minutes. Their eyes went from dull to sparkling in that short a time. Since then, I’ve seen the same response again and again, including seriously ill and unresponsive dogs who sat up, began grooming themselves, wagged their tails, interacted with their owners, and took an interest in their surroundings, all within 15 minutes. I’m not saying that they all get well, but when any pet in dire straits responds dramatically, it’s wonderful.”
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy23 View Post
I think it may be something she had swallowed then, i cant think of anything else really. I feel her tummy and there is something tube like which is almost hard which is about four inch NE of her vagina. Its only on the left side of HER body (her point of view looking down). Now she got given something that made her eat ALOT yesterday and today eaten nothing. Now she's had diarhea twice and its been completely brown water nothing even partially solid. Could it be something blocking? If it was an infection blocking a tube surely all the anti biotics shes had should be moving it by now.

Another thing is that she is drinking willingly and will drink a fair amount. If she moves to fast or gets picked up funny to go to the toilet she will be sick a lot of the time.
Vomiting, diarrhea, and something feeling hard in her tummy could be a blockage. Is this something your vet has suggested or looked for yet? If not, I would take her back right away, as it is potentially life threatening. Another very serious concern would be intussusception: Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs

I know money is an issue for you, but maybe you could call the vet, describe exactly what's going on right now, and ask him about these possibilities. But if it were me, I'd be going back to the vet right away.

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 01-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Vomiting, diarrhea, and something feeling hard in her tummy could be a blockage. Is this something your vet has suggested or looked for yet? If not, I would take her back right away, as it is potentially life threatening. Another very serious concern would be intussusception: Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs

I know money is an issue for you, but maybe you could call the vet, describe exactly what's going on right now, and ask him about these possibilities. But if it were me, I'd be going back to the vet right away.
Thing is that she has been ill for 5 days now and she had normal stools untill about day 2... and she was just as ill if not worse in the first day and a half... So i wouldnt think its anything lodged there as i would of seen her eat something on the first day of the illness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.