Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays) - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

Aw I'm sorry to hear about Mikko, sounds like you have a good plan though and he is doing well. I will keep my fingers crossed that you two have many more years of competing and just having fun together. Thanks so much for the story about the GSD with HD that was able to compete into double digits. It makes me feel better about the situation. I know someone with a terv that had HD and she was competing in flyball and agility until she was 10 (she was retired for reasons other than her hips.) I am hopeful that havoc is one of these success stories. I do keep him very thin, unfortunately he is a very substantial dog (85 pounds at 19 months) not much I can do about the way he is built I guess.

I am so happy to have access to this facility. We will likely continue to go long term to keep him in tip top shape. I am also super impressed with how incredibly well she handled him! She was so patient and showed absolutely no hint of being intimidated by him. All in all a great experience for us both. I am going to take my other GSD who is actively competing for a "fitness assessment" best to avoid issues before they start

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

I got a pretty disappointing diagnosis a few months ago for my GSD - moderate HD in both hips. I was devastated, but fortunately we have still been performing in schutzhund and in agility with zero issues. The first week or so I just cried hysterically as this was my pup that I paid a lot of money for with high hopes, but now that we've had time to heal and think about it I've realized that she enjoys working so much that it would just be silly to keep that from both of us unless we were developing serious issues. I feared that she wouldn't be able to compete, but I recently took her out and she jumped the full Sch jump with zero issues and I was ecstatic.

Good luck, it is scary but it is not a death sentence!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You did say you started agility, and the symptoms started after doing so. Did the dog recently start jumping, and climbing more than usual?
How about the simple possibility of an injury? A sprain?

As far as the xrays, I'm no expert, but angle means everything....I would not draw conclusions with those xrays. He appears to have bad positioning. I went through the same thing, and when my xrays were sent to OFA, they came back as inconclusive due to bad positioning.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

We do think the back/tail issue was from an injury, could have happened during agility or it could have been something that happened before and was just tweaked while I was working him. He is VERY hard on his body and does a lot of things that could have caused injury. The hip positioning sucks, I may get more x rays done down the road. It may change it, it may not.

I was actually pretty prepared to hear that he had HD, I had been suspecting it as a possibility for a while. Just from some VERY subtle things he does, he's never stiff or in pain but there have just been a couple little things that have made me think...I am very hopeful that this won't really change his life, we will focus a bit more on conditioning and strnegth training, stuff that we should be doing anyways. I just need to figure out how to get him to care a little bit more about his own safety, everytime I throw a ball for him I cringe he goes so hard for it! He has absolutley no regard for himself which makes training safely really tough.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just curious, what subtle signs did you see?
When you throw the ball, I assume he runs hard. Why is that a problem. Running hard should be good.
It's the twisting and jumping that gets them.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master Member

Just a bunch of very subtle things, one of the biggest ones is when he is working and starting o get tired he won't out his toy. He just holds on to it no matter what, he is in VERY good shape so his lack of endurance when he works made me wonder. When he tugs he doesn't shift his weight back and pump backwards even when I have greatly encouraged it, could be just the way he likes to tug but another little thing. Also much prefers tugging over chasing toys, again could just be that he REALLY loves tug, but again another little thing. In spite of excellent rear end awareness he has a really hard time doing a good weight shift on contacts, one of the reasons I am retraining to a running a frame. He also doesn't jump on me as much as I would think he would given his personality and when he does he's kinda awkward and doesn't fully extend. These are all things that are kind of circumstantial and could be my imagination, but they do all start to add up.

As for going to hard for toys, he is nuts! He will not slow to pick up the toy (like at all!) and if there is something in his way he crashes through it. When doing agility this is pretty hazardous, a couple weeks ago I threw his ball too close to the wall at the agility barn and he smashed his face into the cement wall, thankfully just had bloody gums, no broken teeth. Another example of his "superness" is once I forget his collar on and it got caught in a jump cup, he didn't even slow down, tried to take the entire jump into the tunnel with him! I have also stopped working him on the dog walk altogether until i can get a private with an experienced trainer as he tries to just go way faster than what he is capable of and falls off. He is just very reckless. Don't know how to fix that.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would love to hear what some of the more experienced have to say about your reply....
But I'm not making the connection to the subtle signs as actual signs. He has high drive, but seems to be letting you know what his favorite games are.
His physical state doesn't seem to dampen his spirits if he's playing a fun game

As far the agility goes... It does sound reckless.

I'm betting the farm your dog is injured, and needs a break and some pain management.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master Member

I sure hope your right it's a lot less about the signs and just a feeling I get. Hard to explain. It would certainly be better if all these little things were my imagination, or an injury that can be fixed with rest, physio and appropriate strengthening. He has not been doing agility since the tail thing happened and even before then I had stopped doing most things with him because I am having a hard time controlling him on course, I'm not very good at driving my Ferrari lol. I am starting classes with a new trainer tonight with my other dog and I am going to ask her about private lessons for my super dog Of course I won't be doing that though until I get the all clear from his physiotherapist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.