Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays) - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks anubis_star, the vet referred to it as a "step" between L7 and the sacrum. Any idea what kind of treatment he would require? All I can find in researching it online is surgery.

He actually was out (sedated) for the X-rays, too bad they couldn't get better positioning. Although I am doubtful that the hip would look great even with better positioning. I'm not overly concerned about the hip, I'm sure with some physio and lots of upkeep he will be just fine. (Might need to rethink some things regarding his agility career though.)

The worst part is the waiting to hear what is going on with his spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

Spoke with the vet this morning and the radiologist did not see anything in the spine that would suggest lumbosacral disease

But he did say that the xrays were crooked, making his left hip look better than it actaually is. So in his opinion Havoc has mild bilateral HD

The file was given to my regular (holistic) vet and she suggested that his tail may in fact be limp from limber tail syndrome (swimmers tail) she said you don't need water to get it, sometimes it can be caused just from excercise/overuse of the tail. She said that I can book him in for osteopathy therapy, (kinda like chiro, focuses on balancing muscles and joints.) I am going to just stick with the physio appointment I have on Wednesday for now, it would take a few weeks to get in with my holistic vet for oseopathy anyway.

I'm optimistic but guarded, the only way to tell for SURE if there is something going on in his back is an MRI. So he is still being totally rested until his physio appointment on Wednesday and I will see what they think of everything once they get their hands on him.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I am happy to hear this!! That is one thing off your list at least! I'm on those meds that msvette2u mentioned. Neurontin is GREAT for pinched nerve pain (or any nerve pain) but it does make you sleepy at first (I think Havoc could take this very well, lol). I hope things get better quickly for your guy.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Jag! I've got him on some Traumeel right now, my holistic vet suggested it. He's actually not doing too bad considering he was kenneled almost all weekend at my moms (poor guy.) We are working on some shaping tricks (teaching him to pick up garbage and put it in the garbage can) It hurts his brain, so it kinda tuckers him out lol.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Another thread on here got me thinking about my "disappointing news" so I figured I would update... Havoc went to physio on Wednesday and they fixed his tail!!! She figured that his lower spine was just a little compressed causing the limp tail. She did some adjustments, laser etc and his tail has been totally back to normal since! He is also moving better than I have ever seen and just seems to be feelin pretty stinkin good we are going back next week for a check up.

As for the HD we are going to do everything we can to build muscle and keep his hips as healthy as possible. His physiotherapist thinks that he will likely still be able to compete in agility but only time will really tell. I am going to continue with agility as long as it doesn't seem to make him uncomfortable. Now that i am aware of his hips i can pay very close attention to his comfort level and not second guess "is he tired or just being a jerk?" I am still wondering wether or not I will be able to compete with him in the regular class or if I will need to enter him as a special (lower jump height) I will have to wait and see how he does with the higher jump heights.

As much as I complain about this dog I really love him, he has seriously grown on me in the last 6 months! Even if he is a wash from agility (which would SUCK since he has soo much potential and I'm so hopelessly addicted to the sport) I still love him and all his "superness."

Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congratulations!! Sounds like great news to me
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, great update. So lucky you have the physio. And he's lucky to have you and your superness!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awesome news!!!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master Member

Thats fantastic news Having a good physio is handy especially if he keeps doing agility
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just saw this thread and skimmed through-I'm really happy for you that he doesn't have lumbosacral disease. I just found out in October that Mikko has it...we went in for hip xrays and left with this diagnosis and not much else from the Dr.
After speaking with several agility people whose dogs have been diagnosed with lumbosacral, as well as my vet, I decided to continue agility as long as Mikko is okay with it. We are on a treatment plan that has him feeling pretty good and we need to get him xrayed each year to make sure nothing is getting worse.
Before we knew it was his back, I spoke with a GSD agility friend of mine whose last GSD had HD and competing until she was in double-digit age and lived to be 15, if I recall correctly. She kept her skinny, which is very important, and fed a home-cooked diet. She believed that the exercise and strength from agility helped keep her in shape. I hope the same for your guy!

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.