Riley had a seizure... it was terrifying - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

TankGrrl,

Thank you for sharing. Your detailed account is really helpful to me. I have to say that Riley's post-ictal state was more closely aligned to the one you describe as the "evil alien" scenario. I was, unfortunately, out of the room and on the phone with the vet at the time when he really started to come to. John came out and said that Riley was acting crazy... i.e. barking and lunging at the cat and at him.

When I went into the room, Riley was in a corner, he seemed blind and was clearly very disoriented. The sound and movement of my arrival made him growl but as soon as I started talking to him in a soothing voice I saw that he started to recognize who I was, who he was and where he was. But, I will never forget that look of total terror he had when I first came back into the room. It really was heartbreaking.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

Personally, I wouldn't participate in a trial (for myself or my dogs) unless I tried other proven medications and they weren't working. Phenobarbital can be damaging to the internal organs but it doesn't have to. Dakota is on a ridiculously high dose. The vet said that they have never seen a dog on a dose this high. He is fine. We told the vet we would rather risk his organs and him have another couple years of life, than lower the dose and have him cluster until we had to put him to sleep. At this point, if it damages his organs, he is almost 9 and we didn't think he would live past 5. AND 9 is a pretty good age for a dog his size.

I'm not saying that the traditional medications are the right route for every dog or that trials aren't a good thing, I am just relaying my experiences.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

Vicky,

Thank you for your perspective! Right now, I am hoping my dog will not need any medication! If it turns out that he needs it, I will look at the pros and cons of each option.

Given the interest, I should let everyone know the drug in question. The name is imepitoin. It is being developed by a German pharmaceutical company. It has been tested in Europe. Again, MY DOG IS NOT ON ANY DRUG TREATMENT RIGHT NOW. He is in a screening phase that just looks to monitor the health of a dog that has had a seizure. There is NO OBLIGATION for me to proceed with the study at any point.

If anyone learns anything about Imepitoin I would love to hear it because SHOULD my dog have additional seizures, this would be an OPTION I may consider.

Thanks,
Anne
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Anne, I would have absolutely no issues entering my dog in a drug trial. Some of the world best and most effective drugs have been developed this way.

As a mom of a very allergic child I'd kill for one particular drug to be made available in the US. Some folks traveled to Canada to get it.
It's still not here, but if they did a trial, or had done one when my son was younger, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Nobody should be making you feel bad for being interested in enrolling your dog. It is your dog, and you live with him.

Either way you choose, you are a good dog mom

Last edited by msvette2u; 12-29-2012 at 11:12 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry that Riley had a seizure. That is so frightening to see your dog go through something like this. Many years ago, our last dog, Sheba, had a grand mal seizure in the middle of the night. We woke up to a similar situation as you did. Very very scary.

In her case, she had several subsequent seizures and something had to be done immediately or we would have lost her. We ended up taking her to Davis to find out what was wrong with her since none of the local vets could figure it out. It ended up being a benign brain tumor, which they were able to operate on and successfully remove. She was on phenobarbitol the rest of her life and did pretty well on it, other than gaining weight and slowing down a bit.

I really hope that your dog doesn't have any more seizures and this was just a one-time event.

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Karin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #46 (permalink)

My 11 month old GSD Diablo had Distemper when I rescued him. He now has seizures. My vet put him on phenobarbital, potassium bromide and finally Levetiracetam. His seizures were getting worse, so I brought him to an animal herbalist in my area. He recommended Skullcap. I also changed his diet so there would be no artificial colors in his dog food. He went from 15 seizures a day to 0 in 10 days. His last seizure was right after his distemper shot on July 13. I am now at 125mg of potassium bromide a day, he was at 1000mg a day. My next step is to start lowering his Levetiracetam next with the phenobarbital after that. I'm hoping to get him off as many of the drugs as I can, but I'm weaning him slowly to make sure his seizures do not reappear.
Rocky5128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

@ Karin and Rocky 5128

Thank you so much for your replies and information!

I am happy to report that Riley has not had another seizure. Having said that, I know that it is still very possible he will have another one at some point.

I really appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences as they have helped me feel so much more prepared - emotionally and pragmatically - should Riley have more seizures!

Once again, I am very thankful for this community of dog-lovers who have been amazing in offering up their advice, experience and support!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #48 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Oh man! I would have been beside myself! I'm with you - praying Riley doesn't qualify for the study.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi all,

Thought I would update this thread.

Riley did not qualify for the study because he did not have another seizure within the observation period.

But, unfortunately, he had another one in mid-March. I was out of town and John says that it was mild and only lasted about 1 minute. Then, today, he had 2 seizures. The first early in the morning and the second in the afternoon.

As you may imagine, I am really upset. I was here for both and thankfully that seemed to be a comfort to him and I was able to time each event and document what was happening so that I could share that info with my vet.

The good news, if there really is any in this, is that he recovered really quickly from the seizures and was not as disoriented and frightened afterwards as he was with the first seizure in December or the one in March. Maybe that is because I did not panic, stayed by his side, spoke to him in soothing tones and pet him throughout the whole episode - all of this after I had started my stopwatch to time the event! So, I guess, I was more prepared this time.

My vet thinks we should not start medication yet and wait and see if it stays at a once every 1 to 3 month event. At this point, I agree, but I think that he will eventually need medication... I was really hoping that would not be the case.

Thanks for reading. I am thinking of starting giving him fish oil and perhaps Taurine. If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad he recovered faster these times.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.