diarrhea issues in 6 month old male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default diarrhea issues in 6 month old male

So Jerry Lee is heading on 7 months old now and we have always battled soft poop with him but seems like lately in the past few weeks it has gone from soft to soft served. It used to be formed but softer than I would hope, and now it's just like soft serve ice cream.

When we got him as a puppy he was on the kirkland signature puppy formula and we switched him to the chicken and rice adult formula with no improvement. The receptionist at the vet said that he may be sensitive to the grains and chicken because her shepherds are the same way when they get any grain or chicken products and she told me to try the Taste of the Wild pacific stream puppy food. Which I did I bought a little bag and he seemed to do better so I bought a 15 lb bag and he still seemed to be doing better and than I went to buy the 30 lb bag and it was $50 and when I went to costco they had basically the same food there and it was a 35 lb bag for $30 so I weaned him slowly onto that food and he seemed to be doing just as well. And our other dog is doing fantastic on it as well.

We are now at the end of our 2nd bag of the Nature's Domain salmon and sweet potato food, Jerry has had no new treats (infact he gets no treats at all besides his food as training treats) and now he is getting soft served ice cream poop. He was on medication for a mass on his toe but he has been off that for a week and a half and his poop wasn't this bad when he was on the medication it has gotten worse since he has been off the medication. He's been on Cephalexin twice a day(every twelve hours) and he was on that for two weeks. As of right now he doesn't sit just to sit he only sits to drag his butt and he just had a fecal sample done two weeks ago and he is on Revolution too which does treat some parasites.

I have taken Jerry to his vet quite a few times for his pooping issues and they said it was normal, than suggested I try feeding him a little less(which ends in him losing weight so I have to up the food back up because he is on the thin side as it is). Than they sell me the science diet a/d canned food which does help him but than when I wean him off we go back to the soft poop and the pooping 5-6 times a day. I have now suggested he see the second vet at the clinic as there is two vets and he has only been seeing the one vet strictly and he has an appointment with the other vet tomorrow morning so they can recheck his torn toenail and I will bring up the poop issue again.

Does anyone have suggestions in the meantime could this possibly be a puppy thing because I am kinda worried about my boy. He seems to be doing ok in the weight department. He is heading in on 7 months and weighs 61 lbs so it's not like he's failing to thrive. In every other aspect he is wonderful he is happy, and loving and just a hyper boy.

I'm wondering if maybe the higher end dog foods aren't settling well with his stomach and some people say they have great success with the purina one sensitive stomach formula but it's only for maintence which he isn't an adult yet so this food isn't appropriate for him yet is it? We have also tried things such as a little pumpkin, yogurt, and probiotics. We have tried fasting and than offering him boiled chicken and rice(which made his stomach issue worse).

He has a vet appointment I was just looking for some other suggestions or maybe someone who had similar problems and what they found helped. We aren't constantly changing his food either he has been on 4 different foods since we got him and we switched him over to the new foods in a period of two weeks to avoid stomach upset. I realize this can't be too easy on our boy.
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I too, had chronic soft poop in my pup.

Is it a bit of a yellowy colour?

I'd had her tested for giardia at 3 months of age, came back negative, but things went from bad to worse, checked again and lo and behold, she had giardia. (She's 8 months old tomorrow). she seemed to fluctuate, things would look like they were improving, then it would be bad again for a while.

She just finished her meds, which made her poop even more loose, but they are a brown colour, not yellowy like before. I'm hoping now that she's off her meds that her poop will firm up.

If not, I'm going to take her in next week and test for SIBO (something you might consider) or EPI.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ah the battle for solid poop! I know it well....

My puppy Jade had varying degrees of soft poop almost the whole time we have had her (she will be 8 months next week). It would vary from soft, to solid, to liquid, and then start all over again. We tested for everything and had her on tons of medication and spent entirely too much money at the vet before we settle on adding pumpkin to her food. The first few weeks it was a scoop with both meals and we saw an improvement rather quickly. Right now she gets a scoop with dinner only and is still doing very well. It can't hurt to give it a try, especially if you have already tried everything else.

That being said, I would recommend testing for giardia and researching EPI to see if some of the other symptoms match what you are seeing.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a thread in this forum, if you look down the list. Lots of people gave good advice.

Someone suggested a special kind of fecal a PCR fecal or something? My vet first did the regular one and found the giardia, so we stopped there for the moment to clear that up and see if that takes care of things, but if not we're doing more testing next week.

Anyway, you might think about doing that PCR fecal?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Poop is normal colored, dark but not too dark. Basically the same shade as the food he eats.

They said no to giardia and than I asked again when he went in for his torn toenail(which is when they found the mass and put him on the meds).

The vet he is seeing always shrugs it off as a puppy thing and than suggested he be wormed which he takes the revolution every month so that is a dewormer in itself.

I was thinking SIBO too but my vet wasn't concerned said he's growing and gaining as he should and it's probably a phase he will outgrow, which is now why when I rescheduled a check on his torn nail I demanded they get me in with the other Dr instead of the one Jerry is accustomed to seeing. I am hoping maybe a fresh pair of eyes will help.

We have tried pumpkin, yogurt, and probiotics to his food and it seems to make his issues worse even though we experimented with the amounts, feeding him less and than more and seeing if it would help and nothing so far has helped our boy.

And it just sucks because he loves his food so I really don't want to switch because he has been known to be a little "finicky" maybe not now he won't be, he seems to eat anything not nailed down if he can get away with it. But before he was very finicky until we found this found.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Anyway, you might think about doing that PCR fecal?
http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...hea-panels.pdf

This is the test our vet uses when Nikki has GI issues. It's not cheap, we pay around $160.

I Hope you figure out what's going on, I know how frustrating this is.

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

what's weird is my vet isn't calling for any type of testing on him for the issue. I bring up concerns with it and she just makes suggestions on things to try at home (the pumpkin or feeding less,etc.). She will do his anal glands and than send us off. But I really don't like having to bring him in every month it seems for anal glands and a few days worth of the prescription canned food. I've asked for prescription dry food to try for him and she said it's not necessary. I know he isn't getting into anything at home and he is only eating his dry food but she makes it sound like he just has a little upset tummy from getting into something he shouldn't.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My vet shrugged me off too, until I insisted on a fecal, and then she said she had giardia.

Just put your foot down. Say you want your dog to have the PCR fecal and a blood panel to check for SIBO, I think vitamin B12 levels. Doesn't sound like EPI to me, but might be worth checking if nothing else pops up.

If all that checks out, you might have a food sensitivity.

It's very frustrating, I can comiserate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.