Eye discharge / bad breath? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eye discharge / bad breath?

Hi all,

I've got a 4.5 month old GSD, Liza. My first dog, so my experience is quite limited. Hoping you guys can advise me on two issues.

1. She's got a bit of an eye discharge, and I'm not finding much definitive information about this online...

Almost every morning I wake up and see that she has small drops of white~ish, gooey substance in the inner corners of her eyes. Sometimes one eye, sometimes both. The amounts vary, sometimes the drops are small, sometimes noticeably larger. This also builds up numerous times during the day - I sometimes clean her eyes as often as 4-5 times per day.

Is this normal? I'm finding mixed opinions online.

2. For the last week or so she's had bad breath. Her diet hasn't changed (mostly raw meat, with a bit of kibble mixed in), and she's got tons of energy and is happy to play all day long. She's getting plenty of bones and treats designed to clean her teeth, and they're all sparkling white with no visible build up. Gums are also the normal light-pink colour. She has poor appetite yesterday and didn't eat much, but seems to be better today, although it's too early in the day to say for sure. What could be the cause of bad breath? Would you recommend dropping by a vet for a urine/blood test?

Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!
yuriy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Check her back teeth. She may have rotting meat stuck in them.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting idea... just had a look at I think she just might have something there. Hard to tell as she doesn't like it when I open her mouth and struggles, but I think I saw a bit of something. Going to drop by a vet or pet shop (whoever will be open!) tomorrow to get her teeth cleaned - hopefully that's it!

Took her for a light hike today, first time she sat still long enough for me to pull out the camera!

yuriy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

She's beautiful!

You can take a toothbrush (human or dog) and try to brush it away yourself
Don't use human toothpaste, only dog kind or baking soda.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.