Zoey passed the blood test but flunked fecal - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zoey passed the blood test but flunked fecal

Zoey's first vet visit yesterday was great. She charmed everyone in the office and they were very impressed with how well-mannered she was. They said most of the GSD they have come in are big babies about everything. Zoey was visiting with all the people, taking treats, being her happy self.

He said her hips, as well as he could check without being sedated, looked good. She had nice muscle on her thighs and she was carrying herself normally. If we ever have to have her sedated for anything else we'll have them xrayed.

As a stray the pound said they had to clean out a bunch of foxtails and we thought maybe one was still in there because she is really rubbing one ear every chance she gets but he said they both look wonderful and clean. We'll watch that over the next week and see how things go.

The vet, bless his heart, called me this morning with all the test results so we didn't have to wait until after the holidays. All the blood work came back 100% terrific. Heartworm was negative. yay!

That was the good news. The bad news is that she has whip worm and Giardia. He just called in a prescription for her so we'll get her started on that right away and I'm about to read through the forums on how to deal with it. It's my first experience with Giardia.

She was going to start obedience classes after New Year's but I've had to cancel that.

I love her so much already and know we'll get her fixed up but I'm also a little sad that we will have to keep her out of class for what sounds like 3-4 months while we get this under control.
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12
Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

http://adoginmylife.com

Last edited by susanwrites; 12-22-2012 at 02:37 PM.
susanwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

the bright side is that this is treatable.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

SafeGuard Dewormer for Goats (10% suspension fenbendazole) will get rid of Giardia. You can buy it at your local farm store. Treat for 3 to 5 days.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanwrites View Post
She was going to start obedience classes after New Year's but I've had to cancel that.

I love her so much already and know we'll get her fixed up but I'm also a little sad that we will have to keep her out of class for what sounds like 3-4 months while we get this under control.
Did the school or the vet say you should cancel classes? As long as she is not pooping in the school and you clean up outside ASAP, neither should keep her from attending classes.

How old is she?

I've dealt with whip worm several times. Important thing to remember is that it is impossible to get out of the ground so clean up right after she goes. Also, the meds can make her unable to hold it for a couple of days.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Seems like we had a family when I worked in lab they keep coming up pos for giardia, I think they figured out it was caused by their lizard! Can be transmitted to humans!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

huntergreen
Yes, I'm glad it is treatable. The vet started her on Pancur (sp?)

Doc, thank you!

GSdraven - yikes on the whip worm. We scoop as soon as she goes.

The vet said to keep her away from other dogs because it was contagious but I forgot, at the time, to ask him about the class. Now they're closed for the holidays. Actually I'll call the place where they are holding the classes (our trainer works out of the local humane society) and see. Maybe she can still go. I hope so.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was in a class with a dog that had it...he missed a couple classes but came back about 2 weeks into his treatment. They informed us and it wasn't an issue with anybody.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Giardia is endemic in many parts of the country. Here in Colorado it is estimated that roughly 10% of dogs are chronically infected with Giardia but show no clinical signs because their body simply learns to handle it. Zeke had a severe case of Giardia when he was a puppy, it was simply treated with Metronidazole and cleared up fine.

Both the whip worm and giardia are easily treated, so I would be happy if those were the ONLY problems an adopted shelter pet had

BTW, Panacur is the brand name for Fenbendazole (which someone else recommended). it is just a good de-wormer that is very effective against both Whip Worms and Giardia. The normal treatment for panacur is 3-5 days of treatment which kills the ADULT whip worms, and then usually you dose again in two weeks to make sure you kill off any worms that may of been eggs and hatched after the treatment. Sometimes it is recommended to even treat again 2-3 months down the line, because dosing to the large intestine can be difficult. That ensures that all worms are killed.

It does take a whip worm 6-12 weeks to become mature enough to produce eggs and therefor become "contagious", so theoretically you should be safe after the first treatment as long as feces are kept picked up. However I've never specifically had a client with your concern and therefor don't know, so a simple phone call to your vet should do. Or even ANY vet if yours is closed, you can call emergency vets in your area and they should be able to tell you over the phone if a dog is safe for group contact 2-3 weeks after being treated with panacur for giardia and metronidazole. Both the clinics I work at would have no problem giving you that information over the phone.

~Emergency CVT

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Or even ANY vet if yours is closed, you can call emergency vets in your area and they should be able to tell you over the phone if a dog is safe for group contact 2-3 weeks after being treated with panacur for giardia and metronidazole.
Being treated with panacur for giardia and Trichuris (whip worm in dogs). Sorry, had metronidazole on the brain lol.

BTW, I am a little jealous of your vet's office. Trichuris is one of my favorite parasites (or rather, parasite EGG) to see under the microscope, and we see it so rarely here in Colorado

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anubis Star thank you for all the additional information. I am soaking it all up. The class was set to start on the 3rd so we wouldn't have a couple of weeks of treatment under our belt but good idea to call the ER and ask questions. I am on good terms with all of them after so much time there in the last month with our last dog. (RIP, Cassie)

How cool that you have a favorite parasite to look at! I can relate because as a native gardener, I feel that way about certain bugs in the garden.

And yes, I am lucky that this is the worst of it. She had a bit of a raspiness in her trach so we are still treating that with doxy as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.