bloody diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy bloody diarrhea

My one and a half year old has diarrhea, this is her third day and today it's bright red. I've been giving her Immodium and rice with chicken or rice with pumpkin powder to eat. Usually it goes away after a day or so but not this time, it's her third day. She's active and running around, and isn't going very often, but when she does it's almost liquid. Today is Saturday and I will probably take her in to the Dr., but I wanted to post first since it's still very early here.
Yvonnski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

This sort of happened with one of my dogs recently, but there was only a little blood in his diarrhea I don't know how much always in your dogs. I to was giving rice, because it always helped before he had diarrhea for like a week then the 6 or 7th day is when I saw the blood I took him to the vet immediately they did a fecal exam and a full blood test it all came out clean. It was all very expensive , but they gave me two medications and told me to feed boiled chicken with rice and just let him get it out of his system, but if it started back up after the medication to call him and it didn't start back up. I would go to the vet better to be safe.

Chief-GSD

Last edited by frillint1; 12-22-2012 at 10:57 AM.
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Have you changed her food or anything lately? She may have a worm of sorts. Take a stool sample to the vet.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First, yes - three days now turning bloody - get to the vet.

Take her OFF immodium - can be very dangerous for dogs and deadly in dogs with MDR-1 mutation.

Fast her for a day or two, but get to the vet
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

No, no changes, she's always had a sensitive tummy, and has had fecal tests twice, both negative, but I guess that can change. Thank You.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you, a vet in the past told me to use immonium, why could it be dangerous? It certainly hasn't helped any this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
First, yes - three days now turning bloody - get to the vet.

Take her OFF immodium - can be very dangerous for dogs and deadly in dogs with MDR-1 mutation.

Fast her for a day or two, but get to the vet
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

MDR-1 mutation is an inabilty to remove from the brain and can cause neuro disorders and even death - although it seems a predominant in collie breeds, it is considered a "herding" dogs mutation.

Perhaps this wasn't common knowledge before, medicine is still learning, and adverse reactions aren't always recognized and reported.

When you have digestive issues, then stick with psillium husk or canned pure pumpkin and slipper elm, marshmellow root...rest the gut - feeding aggrevates it...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you, Storm is doing better she had 2 shots & is on antibiotics, and no food today, and special g/i food tomorrow from the vet. He thought she has aggravated colitis.
wolfmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama View Post
Thank you, Storm is doing better she had 2 shots & is on antibiotics, and no food today, and special g/i food tomorrow from the vet. He thought she has aggravated colitis.
My GSD's get into this situation a few times a year. And if I get behind the curve I end up at the vets with the same meds your pup is on. My dogs ALWAY act healthy and normal and full of energy when they have this going on....

If I am paying attention and get it early, I save alot of money and the girls get over it on their own. What works (and I have to notice their poos ) is the following:

1. When I see the watery diahhrea, it's NO FOOD for the next 24 hours. PERIOD. At the most I can give some canned chicken broth for the fluids and to help with my guilt for my poor starving dog

2. I usually give a few doses of Pepto Bismal pills (the bottle liquid would be a huge mess) during the 24 hours. Make sure there is lots of water available to prevent dehydration

3. Only after the 24 hours I start up with SMALL (1/2 cup?) meal of chicken/rice. I always keep chicken and rice soup in my pantry for this. If my dog continues doing well, same meal 12 hours later.

4. Yogert! A blop of yogert (my dogs seem to enjoy the vanilla ) on top of the chicken/rice seems to help their stomachs get back the good bacterial balance they need for normal digestion.

5. If my dog continues doing well with a 24 hour of only chicken/rice/yogurt then I slowly start adding their regular food to the mix (1/2 cup of kibble per meal?) for the next 24 hours.

IF MY DOG IS STILL SQUIRTING POO it's off to the vet if after 24 hours of no food they are having issues. Colitis needs the meds.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Pepto bismol can cause internal bleeding; it's similar to aspirin.
Immodium is downright dangerous to dogs, in GSDs you don't have to worry about the MDR1 gene, but it can cause the GI tract to shut down. Stop working, this is quite dangerous. It can cause a pet to bloat, even.

Treating Diarrhea in Dogs with Imodium - VetInfo

Not to mention, when anyone/anything has diarrhea, it is the body's way of ridding itself of an irritant.
Rather than shut the GI tract down, it's best to figure out why the diarrhea is happening.

With bloody diarrhea, it is called "colitis", but it is secondary to something that's causing the irritation. This could be a mild thing, something the dog ate, or severe, such as "HGE", or pancreatitis.

It's really critical, after even 1 day of bloody diarrhea, to get the dog to the vet, and not try "home remedies" which may not work and may even be dangerous.

The best treatment, with your vet's approval, of non-specific colitis, or non-specific diarrhea, with or without blood, is either Tylan or Flagyl (metronidazole). But you need to check with your vet about these drugs as well and get correct dosages.

And above all, find the underlying issue and address it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.