HELP! Prolonged ear infection... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

We have a rescue and occasionally deal with ear infections.
The last one was a Basset hound. Stubborn ear infection, treated @ the shelter without success. The cleaner they used had alcohol in it and burned his ear so badly he was crying and shaking and trying to bite (we had to muzzle him).

I purchased some Vetericyn just for him. We used Coconut oil (because it was recommended here) and for a day or two it seemed okay but returned with a vengeance and only made his ear a sticky mess.

We then got out the Vetericyn - and within 3 days it was healed.

Vetericyn is mild and doesn't burn or sting, and it kills just about every bacteria and fungus out there.

I would use it again in a heart beat. If not that, then try the Zymox - if you get the Vetericyn, get the biggest bottle you can, which is a spray bottle.

Spray the Vetericyn into a cup of some sort then draw it up with a syringe. 3cc syringe worked for this Basset.
Place the Vetericyn in the ear and massage it around and let the dog shake it out.
1x a day was fine in our case. We did use some Otic ointment prescribed by the vet, after the cleaning.

THIS is the advice I followed, it is written by a vet -
Vetericyn - Wound and Infection Treatment - Broad Spectrum Antimicrobial
Vetericyn is a non-toxic, broad spectrum antimicrobial. It is available as Vetericyn® VF (Veterinary Formula) and Vetericyn®, the over-the-counter formulation. The VF formula is twice as strong as the OTC formula. Puracyn is a similar product, formulated for use in humans.

Effective Germ Inhibitor

Vetericyn works because it is similar to what are released by the body's own immune system to fight disease-causing organisms. Neutrophils, part of the white blood cell team, release oxychorine compounds to get rid of these invaders. Vetericyn is a similar oxychorine compound, producing a similar effect; according to in-vitro studies by Vetericyn.
Non-toxic and Non-irritating

Commonly used wound cleaners such as hydrogen peroxide damage tissue on a cellular level, and may prolong healing times. (Not recommended for use in cleaning out wounds.) Vetericyn is a strong oxidant - it disrupts the cell structure of the pathogens (germs) and adds oxygen to the wound area, speeding healing times.

Additional questions? Learn more about Vetericyn® from the manufacturer.

Vetericyn VF in Practice

How does Vetericyn VF compare to more traditional wound management treatments? I interviewed Henry (Hank) Cerny DVM, who has been using Vetericyn VF for about five months on a variety of cases.
Q. How long have you been using Vetericyn in your practice?

A. I have been using Vetericyn for approximately 5 months and have used it on dogs and cats in the treatment of various wounds and allergic skin conditions. I am a dental nerd and use it as a wipe down in the patients mouth prior to dental cleaning, and have used it to flush infected anal sacs with good success.

Q. What are the primary conditions that you use Vetericyn for?

A. The two common topicals I have used in the past are Silvadene for wounds and chlorhexidine containing products for the management of secondary infections in allergic dermatitis patients. I still use these products and like them. Vetericyn in one more product that helps me "win" against the war of infection.

Silvadene, while a great product, can be messy and there is always the risk of an allergic reaction to the ingredients. I like chlorhexidine, but when I worked at the UNL veterinary diagnostic lab we quit using it to clean the biosafety hoods since we could easily culture Pseudomonas and Bacillus spp 30-60 minutes after disinfecting. I had been looking for a product that was effective, non-irritating and not likely to stain the owners couch.

Q. Can you give some examples of typical wound/infection healing with Vetericyn?

1) Hot spots - The area was clipped and cleaned using the Vetericyn hydrogel. I have the clients spray the affected skin 2-3 times daily, gently wipe off with a gauze pad and reapply. Based on cytology, I treat the infection(s) with an oral antibiotic / anti-yeast, and give a short course of corticosteroids for the pruritis. I have not used Vetericyn as a sole treatment for hotspots.

2) Otitis externa - A very large dog (115 lbs) who originally presented for a secondary yeast infection (cytology) on a Friday. I sent ear cleaner and Otomax ointment. The owner called the following Tuesday to say that when she cleaned the ears she was now getting a thin ropy brownish material from both ears and the dog was very pruritic (itchy).

On recheck, it was predominately gram negative (sent off for culture and was Proteus mirabilis, resistant to almost everything but Baytril - the owner about passed out at the cost of Baytril or Zeniquin.). The owner wasn't able to clean the sore ears at home so I boarded the dog and cleaned the ears (filled the ear canals with Vetericyn solution, placed a cotton ball in the opening and rubbed vigorously) twice daily, followed by Otomax ointment. Within 4 days , the dog was doing much better and I sent home to continue treatment for the next 2 weeks.

I have treated several cases of yeast and bacterial otitis externa and have found that Vetericyn alone is not very effective as a sole agent and still send either Otomax or Tresaderm to use after cleaning. The nice thing is that Vetericyn does not irritate a sore ear and is safe even if the tympanic membrane is ruptured.

3) Hit by Car - This s not a labeled use of the product. I had a hit by car Belgian Malinois who had a radial ulna compound fracture with gravel, dirt and God knows what else in the wound. After clipping and cleaning, I sprayed the exposed bone down with the Vetericyn solution (also started on Cefazolin). Repaired the fracture and had no complications with infections.

Thank you, Dr. Cerny for sharing your comments and experiences using Vetericyn VF.

Tip: A wound cleanser such as Vetericyn is an essential item for your pet's first aid kit.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
pam

Do not use the blue power formula unless you are certain that the ear drum is intact--the alcohol can cause nerve damage if it enters the middle ear. Chronic, severe ear infections can erode the ear drum.

Jazz, Halcyon v Wolfstraum, Kairo v Wolfstraum
pam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

go to a different vet, get a deep ear swab have it cultured, and treat the problem with the correct medicine.

many infections are resistant to normal medicines
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallhaus View Post
go to a different vet, get a deep ear swab have it cultured, and treat the problem with the correct medicine.

many infections are resistant to normal medicines
This! I'm dealing with an ear infection that I'm pretty sure my dog has had his whole life. We recently had it cultured to see what we're fighting. If it's been infected for a year you really need to get a culture instead of throwing more and more stuff at it that's not effective. That's what all my dog's previous owners did and he has a very antibiotic resistant bacteria in his ear.

Good luck! I know it's hard to see them in pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Please think twice about using vinegar or alcohol in the raw ear. Witch hazel works just as well, with no sting.
See this page.... Ear infection treatment works!

And yes, making sure the ear drum is intact is quite important.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

I'd still go with a proven germ killer like Vetericyn
And I didn't use to think that - I couldn't figure out why people were raving, but now I can!
The only drawback is the cost, but we order online so stuff isn't as expensive that way.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was going to recommend Vetericyn ! that and Zymox , both are anti-fungal . Vetericyn even has ear wash on its label as an application. Were you aware that there are two strenghts . One is (0.00 3?) and the stronger solution is (0.008%)

Next you have to address the reason why this ear is gunking up - change the terrain .

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 12-22-2012 at 12:10 AM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

The only way to stop the ear infections is to determine what is CAUSING them.

You can treat the infections over and over and over again but until you find the SOURCE of the problem they will just keep coming back.

I used Zymox for my Cocker when he would get into some carbs (his ears would flare up instantly). It doesn't hurt like some of the other medications.

Once you start treating the infection you need to address the cause of it or it will keep coming back.

What food are you feeding? What treats does the dog get? What type of environment does the dog live in?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

My old dog would get ear infections usually from getting water in her ears. If she was bathed or in the rain and you didnt dry her ears really well...BAM ear infection.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I was going to recommend Vetericyn ! that and Zymox , both are anti-fungal . Vetericyn even has ear wash on its label as an application. Were you aware that there are two strenghts . One is (0.00 3?) and the stronger solution is (0.008%)

Next you have to address the reason why this ear is gunking up - change the terrain .
I agree. Get the ear cleaned then treat. Free radicles may be culprit - try finding ear drops that contain antioxidants such as Eartec for Cats and Dogs.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.