To the vet we go... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default To the vet we go...

Jax is going to the vet. He's been sore and holding his left front paw off the ground for about 18 hours, moreso than his usual "I played too hard, now I'm sore" soreness. He also shows pain when his elbow is pressed. Not sure what we're looking at, I would have thought he'd have outgrown Pano by now, but maybe not? off to see what the doc says...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

saving time quoting from "sore front leg" thread "google PANOSTEITIS - aka pano aka long bone disease

self limiting - will go away all on its own

vet should have considered this , MALE, age , breed

in future it may shift to another limb , hind or fore , may disappear for a period , then come back , could last till the dog is 2 years. May disappear for long period , months, and then some trauma , over exertion, bump , will bring back inflammation."

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hope it's nothing too serious and that he's feeling better soon!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Healing thoughts your way.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the healing thoughts guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
saving time quoting from "sore front leg" thread "google PANOSTEITIS - aka pano aka long bone disease

self limiting - will go away all on its own

vet should have considered this , MALE, age , breed

in future it may shift to another limb , hind or fore , may disappear for a period , then come back , could last till the dog is 2 years. May disappear for long period , months, and then some trauma , over exertion, bump , will bring back inflammation."
Carmen- Jax was diagnosed with Pano as a younger pup. He's now almost two and a half, and this sore is different than his typical pano sore. The vet thinks he probably has a bone chip in his shoulder, and aggravated it to the point where it caused inflammation and soreness. He likes to jump on and off the couch and beds and jumps a lot when chasing his Kong ball. He was given a Cortisone shot and put on prednazone (sp?) once a day for five days then every other day til they're gone, twenty pills total. His hope is the chip will 'settle' and the meds will manage the pain until it does. We're going to see how it goes and when the pills run out if he isn't better we'll take him for an xray to see if it IS actually a bone chip and not something like elbow dysplasia or bone cancer.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well... Was the chip seen on some sort of x-ray?
That is some powerful medication he is taking, and it will not cure the problem.
Why on earth would a vet give a dog meds that have so many bad side effects, and after twenty pillls, then look for a cause?
It could be as simple as a shoulder strain that could be cured with rest.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wasn't in the room during the exam, my mom took him in because I'd been waiting on hold for an hour with some financial issues that needed taken care of. She told me that he said he thought it was a chip and that he didn't feel an xray was needed at that time. He palipated the shoulder muscles and had no reaction and got a reaction when manipulating the elbow and shoulder joints. If I'd been in the room I probably would have asked for the xray anyway...but hindsight is 20/20. For now he's on pills and rest, although he hates rest most of the time.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Update:

Well, he only got the Prednisone for three days, no improvement at all. He had an accident in the house, which is SO unlike him, that Mom looked up side effects, (what we should have done in the first place) and excessive thirst and urination was listed, along with a ton of others. We pulled him off the meds and took him back for an xray the day after Christmas. The Dr drugged him and xrayed his scapula from the lateral view. He says he see's no bone chips, although it could be cartilage and he can't see that on the xray. He perscribed Rimadyl, once a day with food for possibly more than a month. Saying he'll have 'good days and sore days' and we'll see how it goes....All without giving me an actual diagnosis! I asked about OCD, and his reply is "yeah, that's what it is". Well sorry! I will not accept this any longer. We gave this practice another try after our previous visit (which my mom sat in on) because my dad used it for his K9's years ago, when the original doctors, who the clinic is named for, ran it. With the new guys, it's changed, for the worse. Jax will only go there for vaccinations from now on, (as they're the cheapest in the area), and somewhere else for any 'issues'.

So, he is still not putting any weight on the left front, and let's you know its painful when you press above his elbow. He's been on restriction and rest, we haven't been letting him get crazy and he go's out to potty and mosey around the yard for a sniff if he want's, but that's about it. He is getting the Rimadyl, and it's helped a little bit, to the point he's not limping AS badly, but he's still limping. I know there's a whole nother list of side effects with that drug, but he's going to stay on it until at least monday when we take him to another vet who specializes in arthroscopic surgery for a consult and second opinion. I don't think the rest has helped him at all, and I'm unwilling to accept that my not even 2.5 year old dog is going to be off and on lame his whole life, and live it on drugs. Crossing my fingers and playing the waiting game....
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good for you for firing the vet and looking for a better one. I had to do that to get my old senior's arthritis dealt with competently.

When you go to the new vet, they ought to do a full ortho exam -- it sounds like that hasn't happened yet.

Did they also xray the elbow?
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I just glanced over this, but Rimadyl and prednisone can be deadly together, please don't give them both concurrently. You could wind up with a dog with ulcers very easily.

Has elbow dysplasia been ruled out??
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.