14 Month with two different cancers. Genetics or not? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
sorry carmspack can't leave this, esp since it seems this forum is mostly woman. first thing everyone must understand is that, although some of what dr oz has to say is informative, his main function is to sell products. as for breast cancer, there are two types, one fast growing and spreads quickly. the other is slow growing, but can still spread and kill. first step in surviving is early detection, hence mammography, do not put this off even when there is no history in your family. stress may be a factor, not proven or disproven, sounds like dr berman either waited to long for treatment or she didn't have her lymph nodes biopsied which is pretty standard. the message should have been the best way to survive is early detection. now back to gsd.
I used to be a fan of Dr. Oz. He does bring some issues to light, however he pushes so many products it is annoying. He also claims that people who eat organic are snooty and elitists, as stated in Time magazine. He JUST aired a show right before elections regarding GMO's and always promotes eating organic (which I liked about him) but then decides people who buys organic is snooty??....sorry, done with my rant. It's just frustrating, I used to think he was all about educating people but the more I watched the more I realized it was all about pushing products.

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
GSD4LIFE21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

dr oz was background noise , just like having a radio on while I was getting packages ready to mail out. I mentioned him because in this thread nutritional aides were mentioned , such as folates , probiotics and antioxidants , which the guest also mentioned . Phytonutrients from dark leafy greens - folates included , and fermented foods , probiotics , all immune supportive .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

In humans, anyway, there is a "predisposition" if you will, to cancer.
Cancer is merely cells gone awry. They replicate in a stunted or misshapen manner (to put it simply) and when they replicate again, it doesn't go right, again, and thus, defective cells become the cancer itself.

It isn't necessarily an inflammatory process in general, but some cancers are inflammatory in nature.

If you have a predisposition to cancer (in humans, I'm speaking, don't know as much about dog cancers) the best you can do is be aware, and take care, good nutrition, avoiding things known to cause cancer.

Again, in vet medicine, it's probably similar but I've not studied as much about k9 cancers as human cancers.
What Is Cancer? - National Cancer Institute
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

oops duplicate
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the thing is that cancerous cells are always being produced , meaning cells that have some error , which a strong healthy immune system would have some defense against - apoptosis.
here is what I was saying about stress , chronic stress, and inflammation , which is defined here "stress is “…any event in which environmental demands, internal demands, or both tax or exceed the adaptive resources of an individual, social system, or tissue system" "
The studies, reported July 17 in PLoS Biology, demonstrate in mice that activation of the sympathetic nervous system -- the "fight-or-flight" response to stress -- primes the bone environment for breast cancer cell metastasis. The researchers were able to prevent breast cancer cell lesions in bone using propranolol, a cardiovascular medicine that inhibits sympathetic nervous system signals.
Metastasis -- the spread of cancer cells to distant organs, including bone -- is more likely to kill patients than a primary breast tumor, said Florent Elefteriou, Ph.D., director of the Vanderbilt Center for Bone Biology."

Carmspack
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

But, only if the predisposition is there already. I don't think you can get cancer if you are not already predisposed, but I could be wrong.

In which case, the vet here is arguing that it's genetic, and to an extent, they may be right, that is, the dog has the predisposition for cancer.
In humans they've pinpointed some gene sequences that are predispositions...that doesn't mean they will get cancer but are "X times more likely to get it".
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

and that predisposition epigenetic -- damage to DNA . The possibility is always there , what differs is the gene regulation , switches that can be either turned on or off .
What in the internal , chemical , environment is conducive to altered cells that are tumour and cancer forming.

"Epigenetic dysregulation is central to cancer development and progression. This dysregulation includes hypomethylation leading to oncogene activation and chromosomal instability, hypermethylation and tumor suppressor gene silencing, and chromatin modification acting directly, and cooperatively with methylation changes, to modify gene expression. In addition, disrupted genomic imprinting appears to contribute to colorectal cancer risk, and serves as a gatekeeper in Wilms tumor. A cancer predisposing disorder, Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome, usually arises from epigenetic errors, solidifying the causal role of epigenetics in cancer. While cancer epigenetics has been reviewed extensively elsewhere, the main focus of this review will be to present the view that epigenetics and genetics are complementary in the area of cancer etiology, the focus of this volume. I propose a hypothesis in which epigenetic alterations contribute to tumor progression, but they also increase the probability that genetic changes, when they occur, will lead to cancer initiation. This hypothesis could contribute to a new understanding of the role of environmental carcinogens that may not be fully explained through a purely genetic view or by tests, such as bacterial mutation frequency, that ignore epigenetic factors.:

"While many cancers have been linked to mutations in the DNA sequence of particular genes, epigenetic changes do not involve genetic mutations. Instead, epigenetics allows two cells with identical DNA sequences to behave in wholly different ways. Epigenetic proteins effectively edit the genome by turning off genes that are not needed. This editing process is what allows human beings to have specialized cells — like nerve cells, bone cells and blood cells — that look and behave differently, even though they share the same DNA."

Carmspack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.