14 Month with two different cancers. Genetics or not? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm so sorry.. I can't even imagine. You'll be in my thoughts.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillg View Post
I try not to beat myself up, but I think when we can't know the "why's" It makes it a little harder.
The fact that you are even asking those questions shows how much you loved her, and how you gave her a great life. Give yourself peace by knowing cancer happens, no matter how hard we try.

I sometimes think a few dogs come into this world with a mission -- a special gift for a special person, and once that's accomplished, their work is done and they are ready to return to their pack of angels. I've only known a very few dogs like that, but I'm convinced that with them, a higher being was traveling as a dog. Maybe your baby girl was one of them, and she knew she could go home, as a another pup was coming to be with you.

Enjoy your new babies. I know they will help your heart heal.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jillg " I think if it's environmental, why aren't my other dogs sick? " NOT your environment , genetic changes caused by exposure through generations . Epigenetics.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jillg, I am so sorry!

That is FAR too young, RIP sweet Zenzi.

I lost my cat at 4 years of age to cancer, so I can appreciate the pain of losing a beloved pet far too soon. I was devastated.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

of interest -- while getting my packages made up for a trip to post office I had Dr Oz on for background noise. His guest was Dr Berman a woman who had confirmed cancer and one breast removed -- then on a revisit was told that the cancer had actually spread outside of this area so she had to undergo more chemo- but this time much more pinpoint not the blam of napalm approach when the entire body is bombasted .

She learned so many things -- cancer is an inflammatory process -- STRESS is a large contributor - one reason to breed dogs that have good nerve base , better coping and adaptability -- one good reason to get anti oxidants into the diet -- we ALL live with increasing stress , let those suggestions enter your own game plan for long term health. Also said (my words) be a liver lover -- in other words fully appreciate the extreme importance of a good functioning liver and detox .

aired Dec 21 -- see if you can't watch it or see it on computer

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jillg I'm so sorry to hear of your girl. Cancer has no boundries. On the 10th our kitten, estimated at 1-1/2 yrs old, was diagnosed with a cancerous mass that has spread and our vet doesn't give him much time. This happend a week after my husband was told he has stomach cancer.
Some things we have no control over.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry for your loss, but I would advise against getting 2 littermates.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The breeder may have felt that the pup with the hernia was a better match for you. A hernia is nothing. Usually the dam pulls a little too hard when biting the umbilical cord. Sometimes they close up on their own, generally you can leave them alone and no issues -- Tori has one, she is six, never caused me a moment's worry. Or, you can get them fixed when you get them fixed.

I am just saying, it wasn't like he was trying to pass off a defective puppy.

It sounds like your puppy developed cancer and it metastasized into the lungs. I am curious if your pup was fixed and if so, at what age. 14 months old is really young to die of cancer, but look at humans, yes mostly older people get cancer, but then you also have little kids getting cancer.

I am really sorry though. It is so hard to lose them at any age, but babies, that is like a double tragedy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
of interest -- while getting my packages made up for a trip to post office I had Dr Oz on for background noise. His guest was Dr Berman a woman who had confirmed cancer and one breast removed -- then on a revisit was told that the cancer had actually spread outside of this area so she had to undergo more chemo- but this time much more pinpoint not the blam of napalm approach when the entire body is bombasted .

She learned so many things -- cancer is an inflammatory process -- STRESS is a large contributor - one reason to breed dogs that have good nerve base , better coping and adaptability -- one good reason to get anti oxidants into the diet -- we ALL live with increasing stress , let those suggestions enter your own game plan for long term health. Also said (my words) be a liver lover -- in other words fully appreciate the extreme importance of a good functioning liver and detox .

aired Dec 21 -- see if you can't watch it or see it on computer
sorry carmspack can't leave this, esp since it seems this forum is mostly woman. first thing everyone must understand is that, although some of what dr oz has to say is informative, his main function is to sell products. as for breast cancer, there are two types, one fast growing and spreads quickly. the other is slow growing, but can still spread and kill. first step in surviving is early detection, hence mammography, do not put this off even when there is no history in your family. stress may be a factor, not proven or disproven, sounds like dr berman either waited to long for treatment or she didn't have her lymph nodes biopsied which is pretty standard. the message should have been the best way to survive is early detection. now back to gsd.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillg View Post
Well we were bringing home a baby sister for her. End result we are bringing home a brother and sister from a different breeder, same litter. I have always had what a call a "four pack" at home. Regardless of genetics or not, things happen and hearts break. I guess if the breeder was a little more sympathetic to our situation or should I say empathetic, I might not feel so bad. But it's bitter sweet. The new pups are get their vet check today and shots, so they should be in our home within two weeks. My Zenzi was a beauty that had such a prance to her and never left my bed side. Our family will miss her greatly. I try not to beat myself up, but I think when we can't know the "why's" It makes it a little harder. I think if it's environmental, why aren't my other dogs sick? She was our first GSD and we fell in love. Best dog I have ever had. Her brother Sully is having a hard time since she is not here. He's a Pit/Shep mix. They were tied at the hip.The puppy was planned before she got sick so I couldn't help but pick two knowing I was putting my baby down. We are going tomorrow to watch Schutzhund training and as soon as we have our new babies in hand, they will be doing their obedience with the club and being evaluated. The new pups come from a German Bloodline. Just getting into the whole GSD world as we love the breed.
i am sorry for your loss. there are no whys, nor simple answers. rest assured there was nothing you did that was wrong or that you could have prevented. i have always tried to console myself by being thankful that i was fortunate enough to have my fur pals drop into my life and was grateful for the short time we had together.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.