Join Date: Dec 2007
Nine Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough
- Nosodes. A nosode is a homeopathic remedy derived from a pathological specimen. Nosodes stimulate the natural immune system to react against specific diseases. Kennel cough nosodes are particularly effective.
- Esberitox. This is a fast-acting Echinacea that I have found very effective in reducing the virulence of bordetella infections.
- Vitamins C and E. Vitamin C is an antiviral and E provides immune system support.
- Oregano oil has antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Astragalus is an herb used in Chinese medicine to enhance the immune system, support lung function and stimulate the regeneration of bronchial cells.
- Raw garlic and olive leaf are natural antibacterial and antiviral agents.
- Raw honey will ease the discomfort of coughing, and certain herbs will soothe and naturally suppress a cough, among them licorice root and marshmallow.
- Essential oils can be used to help a pup with kennel cough breathe easier. Oils of eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree have antibacterial and antiviral properties. Chamomile has a calming effect.
- Slippery Elm can help soothe sore and irritated throats.
Honey has to be RAW, not pastuized (like billy bee)
I wouldn't give robtussen...this a dog, not a human and could contain who knows what inc. altifical sweeteners which (some) are toxic and some may be....Manuka honey especially...this has been studied and proven to work against pathogens
If you have a vapourizer, the eucalyptus or tea tree will help....you and add a couple drops to an oz. of carrier oil like olive oil or coconut and finger tip into the fur around neck, the smell will clear passages.
Slipper elm - like an internal band-aide and will coat raw throat - you can use the tea.
Vapourizer going overnight while sleeping w/lavender oil will treat airborne bacteria