German Shepherds Forum banner

So why is it.....

853 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  GatorBytes 
#1 ·
That someone always gets sick or hurt during a snow storm. Of course at 10 tonight we realize that Newton probably has a badly infected paw - it's all red, swollen and starting to pus. He is trying to put weight on it but he doesn't put his full weight on it. I don't know if the vet is going to be open tomorrow or if we are even going to be able to make it into town. I gave him a rimadyl to help him get through the night just to make him a bit more comfortable. Any other suggestions??? It hasn't moved up his leg at this point and he can still jump up onto the bed. I'm just worried how to keep it under control if we can't get to the vet for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
If you have epson salt I would soak/rinse it in that.

This is the reason I keep a stock pile of meds on hand. 2008 we had a hurricane and were with out power for almost 3 weeks and had a new born! That was a LONG time to be without power under those conditions.

#6 ·
A teaspoon of Lysol liquid in some warm water and have him soak it for about 15 minutes. Then rinse repeatedly. Stuff works miracles.

Jelpy

#7 ·
Any of these items on hand?

Vinegar - either white or raw ACV?
Epsom
Coconut oil
activated charcoal
Iodine

any herbal tea's - camomile, goldenseal

The whole idea is to draw infection out, not seal the wound so infection is trapped.

Definately have to soak it - epsom w/a tblsp vinegar (fight bacteria)
You can try (and I say try because it's diffuclt w/dogs) a bread and milk poultice
warm the milk, moisten the bread - pack it lightly into the area - you have to wrap in plastic (clear plastic wrap) so doesn't dry out (not tight so as to not cut off circulation) - warp this with gauze or something so cannot chew it off, sock (child's) or dog bootie.
If you have activated charcoal then put that on the bread after moist will help to draw out infection (with or without charcoal)
If you have camomile tea, then use that w/epsom and splash vinigar as soak - but soak first and soak foremost, before other

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.