Water and Vinegar Ear Cleaner and Pseudomonas - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

The reason I've been using vinegar is because the acetic acid is useful against this particular bacteria. It's the only bacteria shown to respond to acetic acid. if I'm going to clean his ear, I'd rather do it with something that has been proven effective against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. He doesn't cry when I clean it, so I don't think it's extremely painful to him. He used to really cry and try to get away when I cleaned it with the cleaner that came from his foster home, but now he kind of groans and leans into me. he does the same if I just rub around the base of his ear and he will sometimes come to me and want me to rub his ear. I am giving him the Tramadol, because i know his ear is going to bother him no matter what. I'm using about a tablespoon of vinegar per 1 cup of water. It's going to hurt his ear no matter what it's cleaned with, so I'd rather use something that has acetic acid in it. I'd rather use something more natural like the water and vinegar, but my concern there is getting too much water trapped in his ear.

I don't want to make it sound like I've put a ton of stuff in his ear - I did the cleaner given to me by his foster, coconut oil, and now the vinegar and water after finding out exactly what bacteria is in there.

I don't know, it's tough. I've tried things suggested here, I've done what the vet has told me. Over five months and the only improvement has been the right ear clearing up and the outer part of his left ear looking better. I guess that's something but I really want to get this bacteria under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by SueDoNimm; 12-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
SueDoNimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Well as you said, the water won't rinse out and be dry like with some of the agents I mentioned.
But I still would not add alcohol to the mix.

Ears aren't anything to mess with, especially when one is badly infected with this resistant bacteria...I'd go for a commercial wash/preparation over homemade stuff any day

Quote:
It's going to hurt his ear no matter what it's cleaned with
No, it's not, as the three I mentioned are pH balanced - it's the overly acidic stuff that'll sting.
The Basset wasn't painful with the Veterycin - and the active ingredients are bleach and saline, the bleach kills everything including the bacteria in your dog's ear. That's probably what was affecting the Basset's ear too, as it was frank pus and open sores in there.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by msvette2u; 12-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Malacetic is a good ear cleaner. It does NOT sting, but I think that it may leave an oily residue--use it sparingly, a little goes a long way, and wipe off as much excess as you can.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything containing water in the ears, as the lingering moisture provides a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast. I use a vinegar/rubbing alcohol solution to clean and maintain healthy ears. The alcohol is drying, and the vinegar leaves an acidic residue. But don't use this in ears with open sores, as it will burn like crazy!

I would simply use whatever the vet gave you; don't mix other stuff in with it, and don't use the "kitchen sink" approach with sore ears. If it's been cultured to show psuedomonas, you want a treatment that will kill pseudomonas, and not a bunch of other stuff that may change the pH or compromise the activity of the medication your vet has prescribed.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I would simply use whatever the vet gave you; don't mix other stuff in with it, and don't use the "kitchen sink" approach with sore ears. If it's been cultured to show psuedomonas, you want a treatment that will kill pseudomonas, and not a bunch of other stuff that may change the pH or compromise the activity of the medication your vet has prescribed.
This is how I feel too - with the exception of running the Vetericyn by your vet (or the others in that list).
Home remedies are fine with a dog with no infections but in a dog that has a huge long history of stubborn infections, you're not going to make headway with a homemade preparation.

His ear canals are likely calcified inside, too.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
But you're adding even more stuff into the mix...the three things I mentioned are virtually pain free due to their similarity, pH-wise, to the body.

They are painfree to use, so why dump vinegar in, if you need lidocaine to mask the pain?

I know the Basset had pus and blood in his ears, and I could see open sores. The wash the vet gave the shelter to use made him cry and try to bite us.
The Vetericyn didn't make him cry at all, he quit trying to attack us after he figure out it didn't burn.
hi msvette, guess i am picturing ulcerated raw sensitive ears. even though the meds you suggest do not in themselves cause discomfort, the actual act of cleaning with a 4x4 dressing i use to clean out my dogs ears can be a bit painful. lidocaine just made the process easier for me and less traumatic for kyra. again, if anyone does use lidocaine, always without epinephrine.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Same thing I recommend for ears all the time

ZYMOX - Zymox® Dermatology Product Line for Itchy Ears & Skin -- see , effective for pseudomonas !

Carmen

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Zymox is awesome. Also Ear infection treatment works!

Vinegar HURTS as does alcohol. Have tried both myself, in my ears.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Zymox is good too, but Malacetic smells a lot better.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.