Cyst caused by ingrown hairs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cyst caused by ingrown hairs?

So on Black Friday while taking Porter in for his vaccines, we mentioned this weird spot on his forehead that looked like a thin band of hair that was growing over his hair, the vet that was there at day (she wasn't our usual vet) thought it looked like a scratch and despite me disagreeing with her she just said to keep and eye on it.

Well a week and a half ago we took him in for his next rounds and expressed our concern that there was now a bump forming. The vet was perplexed by the band of skin over the hair but pull hairs out from under it, recommended we put a hot compress on it daily (which was a fun task to get him to sit still) and keep and eye on it.

So we kept and eye on it and this morning it was kind of oozing what looked like puss. So my husband took him in to the vet this afternoon. They opened it up, drained it and removed some of the hairs. But she states that it appears that the ingrown hairs caused a cyst to form but they are hoping it wont come back. If it does they want to removed it when we have him neutered in another year or so. They aren't too concerned but I have never heard of this before, has anyone else seen this?
ColleenAli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

yes, my aussie has had a few, one was HUGE, it popped and I kept draining it but ended up having to have it lanced (sp) out..messy stuff, but harmless.

She has another right now on her cheek that I can't get to close up, been using vetericyn on it, but may have to get that one dug out as well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like a sebaceous cycst. They are EXTREMELY common, and generally cause no harm. Zeke has had two on back since he was a puppy, and is now 6. They are well hidden and never both him, so I never bothered having them removed. If it was on his face, I would probably have it removed for aesthetic purposes. Usually they stay the size of a dime, roughly, but sometimes they can get pretty large.

Every hair follicle comes out of a pore that has a gland in it that produces oil. The most common causes of sebaceous cysts is when that pore becomes clogged or plugged up, causing the pore to fill with oil and debris. Or it can be an ingrown hair, dirt, etc... Sometimes they go away, sometimes like Zeke they stay.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...hokq2oAcTkgaAF

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Both my girls get them on different parts of their bodies. Never bother the dogs but I keep an eye on them. ...
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What has always worked for me for ingrown hairs (in delicate areas) is organic raw apple cider vinegar - full strength, apply to cotton pad and hold on the boil, pimple, cyst for couple mins (might sting for a second, then relief)...do this 3 or 4 times a day.

Kill's bacteria and dries up excess oil

Do this after compress as noted by vet.

Also silicea homeopathic is noted to push foreign bodies to the surface.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.