my bubbles was very sick :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default my bubbles was very sick :(

I started changing her food slowly to nutro puppy chow last last week. This last Thursday she wouldn't eat. Then Friday morning she still wouldn't eat her food. I thought she didn't like her food. I even tried feeding her favorite chicken hotdogs. So Saturday morning she had major stomach upset. I rushed her to the pet hospital. She had the stomach flu/infection. She's been on medication since Saturday. Sunday I put food in her mouth one piece at a time BC she wouldn't eat it on her own. She started eating Monday evening after me giving her a little out of my hand.

Today she is very hungry. She ate 1 cup of food in the morning and about 2 cups just now. I know she's very hungry from being sick.

what do you think should I let her free feed for a couple days or just increase the amount of food for a while? to make up for when she wouldn't eat .

I'm so happy my babies feeling better.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

she should be on a bland diet(cooked chicken/ double boiled rice) so her gut can get back to normal...don't let her eat much per feeding either. Small frequent meals are better. I'd give slippery elm bark mixed with a bit of plain yogurt a half hour before feeding to help heal her gut.
There have been several dogs in the past couple weeks getting a tummy bug. I wonder if it is the time of year?
Two of my dogs got sick this time of year(one a few years back and the other 2 yrs ago) Odd coincidence?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
she should be on a bland diet(cooked chicken/ double boiled rice) so her gut can get back to normal...don't let her eat much per feeding either. Small frequent meals are better. I'd give slippery elm bark mixed with a bit of plain yogurt a half hour before feeding to help heal her gut.
There have been several dogs in the past couple weeks getting a tummy bug. I wonder if it is the time of year?
Two of my dogs got sick this time of year(one a few years back and the other 2 yrs ago) Odd coincidence?
weird. I didn't know dogs could get a stomach flu either. I give bubble yogurt but I wanted to let the meds do there job. if its OK to give her yogurt now that'd be great BC she likes yogurt.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

give it when you aren't giving her her meds. at least an hour or two before/after. Make sure the yogurt has active cultures.
What are you feeding her now? Nutro?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah bubbles is eating nutro like a little piggy.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

how old is Bubbles and how's Bubbles feeling now? when my dog wasn't feeling well i would take him to the Vet. if my dog wasn't eating i fed him chicken and rice with sweet potato or fresh pumpkin. i give him organic yogurt.

Last edited by doggiedad; 12-19-2012 at 08:31 AM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my dogs got upset stomachs chicken and rice was always my go to food. A spoonful of yogurt helps settle the stomach too. Now Raina has developed an allergy to rice to it makes it a little tougher but we go with sweet potato and I also put a spoonful of canned pumpkin in with her kibble every day. I would stick to a bland diet for a little while and not over feed the kibble which can be harder to digest.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
how old is Bubbles and how's Bubbles feeling now? when my dog wasn't feeling well i would take him to the Vet. if my dog wasn't eating i fed him chicken and rice with sweet potato or fresh pumpkin. i give him organic yogurt.
bubbles is 5 months and she is feeling better and very hungry. She has a lot of medication from the vet she still needs to finish. she won't be done with the meds until next week. She looks so much better !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.