Black / Tan shepherd loosing her fur - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Black / Tan shepherd loosing her fur

So 2 months ago, my dog within 3 days, lost all her fur on her right side, at the back just by her leg. The skin underneath her body, was extremely red, so i rushed her to my vets, i told him that she was constantly scratching and biting herself. His first response was " Its flea's " I told him i doubt that as i de-flea her every month. He soaked a white cloth and ran it along her 22 times, until he finally admitted it probably wernt flea's but still gave me de-fle stuff.

1 week later ( 0 improvement ) - He says its probably a mange, So he pescribes her antibiotics, steroids, a special shampoo and gives her a mange thing.

3 weeks later ( Still no improvement ) - he gives me antihistamines aswell

This week - Hair is finally growing back, itch has completely gone, aswell as red marks.

Two days ago - My dog starting to lose of her white fur by her tail, and starts loosing hair. I put this down to shedding. Her behaviour seems off. She is wanting to be stroked, she is licking me, and actually want me to go near her. ( Normally she hates being stroked or touched )

Today - I wake up to find my entire downstairs covered in hair. I find my dog, all the white fur by her tail is almost completly gone, and underneath where the white fur was reveals red skin ( again ). I then notice she is developing bald spots all over.

Her underneath ( Belly ) Is perfectly fine, no redness.

I have booked an emergency appointment with my vets again. Im looking her for idea's. As i think it may be an allergy, but he says its not and i should let him be the vet.

-Her diet hasnt changed since she was 6 months old.

-She turned 1, on december the 3rd. She got these problems at 8 months.

- No changes to her routine, apart from this week she hasnt been out due to me being ill.

- She doesn't interact with other dogs, or other animals.

I forgot to mention, she is extremely flaky. I stroke her, and mass fur comes out, and if i scratch her, i get covered in white flaky skin

http://i47.tinypic.com/14ce5o9.jpg ( Taken today, first time i have ever seen under her white fur )

http://i49.tinypic.com/ei9h5s.jpg ( Other side, again taken today )

http://i45.tinypic.com/90sm8h.jpg ( This is her fur now )

Sorry for bad quality, i live alone, and its hard to get her to let me look, since whenever i touch around the area's. She gets distressed.

* This picture is of her, 1 week before any of these problems began *

http://i47.tinypic.com/2mqqjo9.jpg

Last edited by JordanT; 12-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can't give any medical advice. But, if it were me, I'd be back at the vet office. I would insist on a full blood work-up, including thyroid panel.

There's no telling if its allergies, mange, hormonal imbalance or another condition. (It looks like it would hurt as well...poor thing! )

IMO, if you aren't happy with that vet or his diagnoses, I would suggest going to another.

Just a suggestion. Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I always hate it when I see my dog suffer and there is nothing I can do. Have you maybe thought of trying a different vet, don't tell them this but they're not always right.
But here is a link to a website I found that might help or give you some more ideas as to what could be wrong.
Dog Hair Loss - How to Diagnose, Treat and Prevent
Brandilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i would try another Vet. i would also give my dog
a bath usuing some medicated shampoo. i would check
the ingredients of what i was feeding.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well she had to go for tests the other day. Results back yesterday. She has an array of allergies, which means she can only eat dry hypoallergenic food.

She is on alot of medication aswell to calm down the skin. Any idea's on how i can give her them? She cant have any food except that, and the hypo=allergenic dog treats she wont take with the tablets.
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had a severely allergic dog. I would look into going raw for the food. This helped tremendously. Once you have her on raw look into a high dose/therapeutic dose of a good quality fish oil. It is a natural anti inflammatory. Along with vitamin c. There is a member on here that can help you wih treating homeopathically. Ill look for her name and pm you.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As soon as I read the first post, I had a suspicion that the dog had allergies. May I ask what the results were of the tests? I have a dog that has allergies too and has been that way since the day I brought her home.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.