Something going on with my dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
Go back to feeding her only raw. Give it a couple of weeks for her digestion to settle down. Don't overfeed.

I can't, I have someone in the home who's on immunosupressants and the prep time scares me since I'm already up at 5:30am.

Although - the girl at the daycare just told me about freeze dried raw. Is this good? Are there any good brands?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I'm a worry wart...

but I'm not sure

so I may be worrying....

I'm worried because...
Wow.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't want to discount anything your trying to do as far as keeping your pup's health in top form, and you should continue to do all the checks that you feel are necessary to ensure that she is okay, I just don't want to not say anything when it could be part of the problem. I could be totally wrong.

Now I know from what I've read (I did read the entire post) that you spend time researching (from books,vets, online etc.), so you are more than likely aware that dogs pick up on our "vibes", and I have to say that I don't believe that all that worrying can be good for the puppy's health. This is just my opinion. It is what stood out to me the most from reading your OP, as well as your follow up post, so I wanted to put it out there for your consideration and possibly further discussion.

I wish you and your pup the best of luck, but try not to worry so much, more than likely if she is having a medical issue worrying IMO won't help. Do what is necessary, and believe everything will be fine, because you are on top of any situation that may arise.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She was on Orijen at first, didn't work for her. Then I switched to Acana Pacifica which was better but still the problem is there.

I did basic puppy shots because I had to do them for puppy classes and daycare (bortadella & rabies).

Do people usually not do puppy vaccinations? That sounds scary to me, especially since she goes everywhere with me, including daycare, living in the country and training classes, so she's higher risk for exposure.

These issues started before her spay and before her second set of vaccinations. While those things could potentially have exasperated the issue, I don't in any way believe they caused it.

Anyway, thanks so far for the suggestions, especially about the PCR fecal. I'm hoping that will at least eliminate some things from what it could be.

ETA: Ageizm I do worry about my pets. I hope I'm not freaking my dog out! LOL Mostly we have lots of fun, I'm just really concerned about this not resolving after trying different things. Hopefully these tests will turn something up! And in the meantime I'll try to chill out a little. LOL

Last edited by blackshep; 12-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

No, thousands of dogs are vaccinated daily and don't have issues.
As others said, start w/the fecals and labwork and see what happens.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I can't, I have someone in the home who's on immunosupressants and the prep time scares me since I'm already up at 5:30am.

Although - the girl at the daycare just told me about freeze dried raw. Is this good? Are there any good brands?
Yes, this food is very easy to prepare. We use The Honest Kitchen, although there are other brands out there. It's dehydrated, add warm water, let sit for 5-10 minutes and feed. We also used a frozen prepared raw, Nature's Variety.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
She was on Orijen at first, didn't work for her. Then I switched to Acana Pacifica which was better but still the problem is there.

I did basic puppy shots because I had to do them for puppy classes and daycare (bortadella & rabies).

Do people usually not do puppy vaccinations? That sounds scary to me, especially since she goes everywhere with me, including daycare, living in the country and training classes, so she's higher risk for exposure.

These issues started before her spay and before her second set of vaccinations. While those things could potentially have exasperated the issue, I don't in any way believe they caused it.

Anyway, thanks so far for the suggestions, especially about the PCR fecal. I'm hoping that will at least eliminate some things from what it could be.

ETA: Ageizm I do worry about my pets. I hope I'm not freaking my dog out! LOL Mostly we have lots of fun, I'm just really concerned about this not resolving after trying different things. Hopefully these tests will turn something up! And in the meantime I'll try to chill out a little. LOL
If you read the article I provided, it explains the only three vaccines dogs that should be given. The other vaccines as pretty much useless, in all honesty. Dogs don't die from kennel cough, or parainfluenza UNLESS they have an immune issue. This is like getting the cold or flu in us - and honestly, why bother pumping them full on EXTREMELY harsh chemicals that destroy the immune system, the body, over time when they'll get over the bugs with proper care?

Pet care industry is a billion, billion dollar industry - because pets get vaccines, still get sick, need more appointments, need more medication to offset the ill effects of all the chemicals and bad food, more exams, surgery, etc etc ------------ vets profit!

My male is 19 months old. Got three sets of parvo + distemper as a pup, one rabies shot in his lifetime so far. He's perfectly healthy... he goes every where with me, does everything, socializes - hasn't caught anything yet. I don't do heartworm, either... he hasn't gotten it, no fleas, anything.

If you've already tried Orijen and Acana.. the raw is pretty much all you can do imho. Can you package daily meals and feed outside? What about feeding homemade food at least? It's probably better than the kibble at this point.

Point is, what you are doing is obviously not working for the puppers. Gotta try something different.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, if she wants her dog going there, she'll have to do the basic vaccines plus KC and rabies.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

That's great! I have a feeling that no change in your pups behavior escapes your attention, so you should definitely be relaxed in that fact alone, your not going to "miss something".

Worry translates into anxiety (which is what I think the pup or any animal would pick up on). So yes just chill out and calmly stay on top of it.

She will be fine!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I'm pretty sure, if she wants her dog going there, she'll have to do the basic vaccines plus KC and rabies.
Yeah, unfortunately.

Rabies is law, and important, anyway.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hear you Wild Wolf.

I'll do some investigating on the frozen/freeze dried raw. That might be more doable.

Her breeder gave us info to read saying she believes in vaccinating, but not over-vaccinating, as in, do titer testing before revaccinating as an adult, but felt puppy shots were ok. I know it's a hot topic, so I guess we have to do what feels right to us.

I'm going to leave her food until I get back the test results. The good news is, I've got about 1/4 of a large bag left of Acana, so if I need to change I've got enough to do it gradually and not have to waste any.

I've got the article you linked open, but haven't got through it all yet. I actually wasn't going to do the KC vaccine, but I had to for her daycare, so I did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.