Armpits turning black and losing hair - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Armpits turning black and losing hair

I'm new to this so here goes. My silver sable shepherd's armpits are turning black and red. Also underneath his rear end and underneath back legs. He's light colored, kind of beige mixed with black and silver, but very light colored shepherd. Took him to the Vet and she said it's allergies and to put baby powder on them. Didn't work and they're getting worse. He licks them a lot. I feed him Blue Buffalo and always have. He's turning 6 yrs old and never had this problem before and we've always lived in this house. Sure would appreciate any ideas, or should I just take him to another Vet? Thanks,
Kyzzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Staph infection or thyroid imbalance are possible culprits. Did the vet do a skin scrape? Get with a different vet.
Never heard of using baby powder on a skin problem. Gold bond, possibly....but not baby powder!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Staph infection or thyroid imbalance are possible culprits. Did the vet do a skin scrape? Get with a different vet.
Never heard of using baby powder on a skin problem. Gold bond, possibly....but not baby powder!

Thanks, sounded a bit strange to me, too. I have 2 other dogs totally unaffected by this.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Vitamin C supplement will help reduce inflammation and support the immune system. Omega oils help w/ skin and coat.
But I'd still get with another vet for some tests...what one dog has doesn't necessarily affect the others in the household.
Because the vet suggested baby powder would have me going elsewhere....very odd suggestion, but maybe they thought it was just chafing of the skin?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeast infection?

Get you vet to check.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dog Hypothyroidism Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention

Desiccated thyroid extract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kelp, Ashwagandha (works on stress hormones)

Link about cushings, but talks about thyroid.

Sounds like thyroid.

My dogs whole groin area turned black after a vaccination, I learned months later about kelp for the iodine (prior to putting on raw), used a tincture, he was between 3 & 4yrs....couple months on kelp, skin started to normalize...then switched to raw and skin completely pale pink again. He is now 8 and I think he is going to need a bit more then kelp as a small area in groin is blackening, not progressing, but definately think he has age related thyroid/possible immune. Looking into desiccated thyroid extract

Natural Solutions For Cushing’s Disease
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. Need to get a blood test done it sounds like. Appreciate all the responses. He's my best bud.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Look into the link inside the Mercola link re: Dr. Jean Dodds re: "grey" area. Most vets only test T4//T3 and these could come back normal, but your dog could in fact, be heading to it. supplimenting with natural, before this happens could stimulate the thyroid to work. Synthetic meds. will take over hormone production and the thyroid will essentially get lazy and stop working all together...then meds will be req'd for life. Prevention in the form of already mentioned, search web too and titer (tests for antibodies - if dog has, then vax. not re'd) from now on, instead of re-vaccinating
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

baby powder - you have got to be kidding . Baby powder isn't , hasn't , been used for babies , nor talc for after shower , for decades because of dangers to lung from fine talc powders being inhaled , and in girl babies with suspect cancers particularly ovarian cancer Study Links Baby Powder Use To Ovarian Cancer Risk CBS Pittsburgh - talc - scented talc was once an additive to hygiene products . important for your own healt - read Talcum Powder can cause cancer

your problem may be a sytemic fungal problem . I would find a good intergrative vet - get a diagnosis , then you can treat the CAUSE -- shampoo with Selsun Blue fortified for fungal , use Vetrycyn - good for bacterial / fungal --- and address through diet , environment .
first on the list though is get a Vet .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
baby powder - you have got to be kidding . Baby powder isn't , hasn't , been used for babies , nor talc for after shower , for decades because of dangers to lung from fine talc powders being inhaled , and in girl babies with suspect cancers particularly ovarian cancer Study Links Baby Powder Use To Ovarian Cancer Risk CBS Pittsburgh - talc - scented talc was once an additive to hygiene products . important for your own healt - read Talcum Powder can cause cancer

your problem may be a sytemic fungal problem . I would find a good intergrative vet - get a diagnosis , then you can treat the CAUSE -- shampoo with Selsun Blue fortified for fungal , use Vetrycyn - good for bacterial / fungal --- and address through diet , environment .
first on the list though is get a Vet .

My wife took him while I was working and when she told me what the Vet said I had the same reaction you did........baby powder??????? We live in a small town so not lots of choices, but there is another vet about 30 - 35 mi. away, but he's not open on Sat. where I can take him. She's going to have to take him again, but I told her I want a skin scrape and blood test done at minimum. I'll give the Selsun Blue a try in the meantime. Thanks a lot for the info. Common thread I'm seeing here is get another Vet, and I couldn't agree more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.