Bowel Issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bowel Issues

Stark had a urinary tract infection and a build up of bad bacteria a couple of weeks ago. We went to the vet because he had very bad breath (which he shouldnt have bc he is only 10 months old, his teeth havent had a chance to get dirty, rotten, etc.) and he was very slightly lethargic. So we got that diagnosis and he took Ampicillin 3 times a day for a week. He went back to normal in about 2 days, no longer had an odor to it after about 5 days, and his follow-up urinalysis showed his infection has cleared up.
I noticed a day or two ago, which is about two weeks after the antibiotic was done that his breath has started to stink again.
The vet reccommended that I give him plain yogurt, so I gave him a tablespoon with every meal while he was on his antibiotic, and now I give him a tablespoon with one meal a day.
He is 10 months and was potty trained very quickly, but he recently will poop at the door if I dont notice soon enough. He will NEVER pee in the house, and he will only poop by the door. Doesnt matter how long he is in my room with the door closed or in his kennel, he will NEVER poop in there. So, when we go outside I make him poop before he will come in. He will just pee then try to come back inside, so I make him poop to prevent accidents. But, sometimes he will poop then about 10 minutes later he will poop in front of the door again. And, sometimes he poops about 5 days a day. And, it varies between very hard and just soft, never diahrrea.
We determined he has a wheat allergy. he was VERY itchy as a pup and we switched to a grain free food and that cleared up. So, we dont give him any people food and we give him wheat free treats. So, I dont think he is having an issue with his diet.
Im just wondering if any of you think this is a medical issue or a behavior issue? Do you think I need to come up with a signal (like bells) for him to tell me he has to go out? He sometimes sits at the door and just wants to go out to play... and he always sits at the door when he has to pee. If i dont notice he is at the door when he has to pee, he will just lay down unitl I do notice and then I let him out. Which is what makes me think its some sort of bowel issue... I think if he could he would wait until I got to the door instead of pooping inside. But, like I said he will never do it anywhere else in the house even if the door to that room is shut with him in it. So, I guess Im at a loss. What do you guys think is going on with him?

Thanks!
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

not sure if this will help, have you tried adding fiber to his diet? I added fiber to my dog's food, then we changed foods and decided not to add the fiber. Well, she would poop, but they would be very small and dry/hard and she started to have more bowel movements (but smaller ones) than normal. I began to add fiber back to her diet and now she is back to her old self. Normal number of movements now, and the consistency is normal.

Like I said, it may not be the issue, but I would try it if you are at a loss.
eddie1976E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.