If NOT breeding, what reasons to do hips/elbows? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I only x-ray if I believe that there might be a health problem OR if I plan on doing something with the dog that might be injurous to bad hips/elbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I won't breed WD. As long as he doesn't show any limitations I won't X-ray him. he climbs steep river banks with ease, is sturdy and never shows any problems after strong exercise (age appropriate)
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd do prelims early on if the dog is doing sportwork(you don't need to send it in, but have a good ortho read the films)

It is also great for breeders to see how their pups developed early on so they can plan future breedings.
If there is a problem with hips/elbows they should know this before breeding the dam again. Or if they want to do a repeat breeding that information is necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do prelims on all dogs because all of my dogs are involved in some sort of training, we hike and do rock climbing together and other strenuous activities. I want to know if I need to alter supplements or exercise if there is an issue.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I xray all of my dogs, hips/elbows/knees/spine.

Some I've ofa'd some I haven't, but still xray. I am not a breeder

I xray because I want to know structural status , and for future reference should something crop up, we have something to compare to.

Also do it as a courtesy to the breeder

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dogs from breeders get xrays so if there is an issue, I can inform the breeder in a timely manner. Many contracts stipulate a time limit for hips/elbows - if there is an issue, I want it known by a year old so I will get compensated based on the contract.

Rescue dogs don't get any xrays unless there is a problem that warrants further attention. Got a sweet Rottie girl abandonment case and a little Golden mix with me now - they will not get xrayed.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My female mixed breed turned out to have severe HD, and was diagnosed under a year old. We ended up doing a prelim x ray on my male GSD when he was neutered (1 year old) because of the experience with Rosa. We had Niko x rayed again when he was two years old and done growing, just to be sure even though there was no evidence of HD at one year old. We also put him on a joint supplement which he will take the rest of his life, just to be on the safe side.

It doesn't do any harm to give a joint supplement, and there is certainly peace of mind knowing that Niko does not have any underlying hip issues that could crop up when he gets older. His breeder also appreciated getting a copy of the x rays, for her own records. I will continue to x ray any dogs I get in the future for both hips and elbows, even though I would never be a breeder.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

If your do won't sit straight, or down in a perfect "sphinx," or refuses jumps.... It is very important in my mind to rule out orthopedic issues.

-and-
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't breed either but, X-ray all my dogs.

I do a prelim first, especially if they are going to work, exercise a lot or do any sports.

(It's important for ME to know my dog is healthy and structure is sound.)

If they do have any problems, I want to know about it and be able to manage any problems as they age.

Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 12-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I do prelims because I want to know what is going on before I start working my young dogs seriously. For breeders it is very helpful when our puppy people do at least prelims so we can keep track of how our dogs are producing. It would be nice if everyone did OFA or 'a'stamps (hips/elbows) on their dogs, but at least good prelims help.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.