My dog throws up and acting like nothing is wrong - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 744
My dog throws up and acting like nothing is wrong

Arexa is almost 8 months old, I switched her food to Blue Buffelo 3 weeks ago she used to be on Royal Canin. Today after eating her treat(she ate it before many times and nothing happened) she played tug for about one minute and then she threw up what looked like same color as the treat it even smelled like the treat. She also threw up in the car yesterday while we were driving after she ate some grass, which is normal as far as I know.. About 2 days ago I found 2 throw up strains on the carpet, it seems like she throws up and then eats it, I obviousely didn't let her eat it when I saw it today. She is healthy weight and playful and full of energy, she is acting like nothing is bothering her, right after she threw up today she went to eat her normal food like no big deal and back to playing....Should I be worried, did anyone else have this kind of experience?
julie87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Don't roughhouse with her after she eats stuff.
It's fairly normal.

Also, by "throws up" do you mean she "spits up" (no straining) or does she strain for a bit before throwing up?
Does it sort of splat right out?
msvette2u is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Don't roughhouse with her after she eats stuff.
It's fairly normal.

Also, by "throws up" do you mean she "spits up" (no straining) or does she strain for a bit before throwing up?
Does it sort of splat right out?

Throws up
julie87 is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Like...as someone else described it..."hurka hurka hurka hurka SPLAT"?

Sometimes they eat too fast and need to rechew it. After food's set in the stomach a bit it's softer and they can chew it up better.
Gross, I know. That's just a dog for ya.

As long as dog is healthy in other ways, active, no diarrhea, etc. it should be fine, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.
msvette2u is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 744
Her poops are actually better than ever a better than on Royal Canin


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Ageizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 62
Oooh I have a question about this sort of thing... Barack has thrown up once...I didn't let him eat it..... of course I thought that'd be gross. So i made him another bowl with a much smaller portion...thinking that he might not have gotten the nourishment he needed since he'd thrown up a bit.

So basically my question is if your dog/pup throws up should you feed him again? (let's say it's dinner that he throws up) or just leave him and let him go to bed?

Barack Green GSD 8-25-2012 AKC reg 12-8-2012
Ageizm is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member
 
1sttimeforgsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 7,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Arexa is almost 8 months old, I switched her food to Blue Buffelo 3 weeks ago she used to be on Royal Canin. Today after eating her treat(she ate it before many times and nothing happened) she played tug for about one minute and then she threw up what looked like same color as the treat it even smelled like the treat. She also threw up in the car yesterday while we were driving after she ate some grass, which is normal as far as I know.. About 2 days ago I found 2 throw up strains on the carpet, it seems like she throws up and then eats it, I obviousely didn't let her eat it when I saw it today. She is healthy weight and playful and full of energy, she is acting like nothing is bothering her, right after she threw up today she went to eat her normal food like no big deal and back to playing....Should I be worried, did anyone else have this kind of experience?
I would try keeping her calmer after she has eaten and see if she stops or continues to throw up. I make mine chill for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating, mostly because I am so afraid of bloat.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member
 
1sttimeforgsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 7,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageizm View Post
Oooh I have a question about this sort of thing... Barack has thrown up once...I didn't let him eat it..... of course I thought that'd be gross. So i made him another bowl with a much smaller portion...thinking that he might not have gotten the nourishment he needed since he'd thrown up a bit.

So basically my question is if your dog/pup throws up should you feed him again? (let's say it's dinner that he throws up) or just leave him and let him go to bed?
I don't think that I have ever refed one after they have been sick, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer this for you.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Member
 
MattLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 80
Foods can cause a little vomiting for several reasons. Some that I know of are; gobbling up too much and too quickly to digest, which is normal for carnivores. The food might be too rich for the pup, or the change from one brand of food to another might have been too quick.
If I didn't think it was one of these things, I'd probably ask my vet.



Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington St.
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageizm View Post
Oooh I have a question about this sort of thing... Barack has thrown up once...I didn't let him eat it..... of course I thought that'd be gross. So i made him another bowl with a much smaller portion...thinking that he might not have gotten the nourishment he needed since he'd thrown up a bit.

So basically my question is if your dog/pup throws up should you feed him again? (let's say it's dinner that he throws up) or just leave him and let him go to bed?
As long as the dog is otherwise acting fine, I would. I'd probably wait and watch for a bit before trying again. (And as you did, I would start with a reduced amount)
Nigel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome