German Shepherds Forum banner

My dog throws up and acting like nothing is wrong

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Ageizm 
#1 ·
Arexa is almost 8 months old, I switched her food to Blue Buffelo 3 weeks ago she used to be on Royal Canin. Today after eating her treat(she ate it before many times and nothing happened) she played tug for about one minute and then she threw up what looked like same color as the treat it even smelled like the treat. She also threw up in the car yesterday while we were driving after she ate some grass, which is normal as far as I know.. About 2 days ago I found 2 throw up strains on the carpet, it seems like she throws up and then eats it, I obviousely didn't let her eat it when I saw it today. She is healthy weight and playful and full of energy, she is acting like nothing is bothering her, right after she threw up today she went to eat her normal food like no big deal and back to playing....Should I be worried, did anyone else have this kind of experience?

#2 ·
Don't roughhouse with her after she eats stuff.
It's fairly normal.

Also, by "throws up" do you mean she "spits up" (no straining) or does she strain for a bit before throwing up?
Does it sort of splat right out?

#4 ·
Like...as someone else described it..."hurka hurka hurka hurka SPLAT"?

Sometimes they eat too fast and need to rechew it. After food's set in the stomach a bit it's softer and they can chew it up better.
Gross, I know. That's just a dog for ya.

As long as dog is healthy in other ways, active, no diarrhea, etc. it should be fine, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

#6 ·
Oooh I have a question about this sort of thing... Barack has thrown up once...I didn't let him eat it..... of course I thought that'd be gross. So i made him another bowl with a much smaller portion...thinking that he might not have gotten the nourishment he needed since he'd thrown up a bit.

So basically my question is if your dog/pup throws up should you feed him again? (let's say it's dinner that he throws up) or just leave him and let him go to bed?

#8 ·
Oooh I have a question about this sort of thing... Barack has thrown up once...I didn't let him eat it..... of course I thought that'd be gross. So i made him another bowl with a much smaller portion...thinking that he might not have gotten the nourishment he needed since he'd thrown up a bit.

So basically my question is if your dog/pup throws up should you feed him again? (let's say it's dinner that he throws up) or just leave him and let him go to bed?
I don't think that I have ever refed one after they have been sick, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer this for you.

#7 ·
I would try keeping her calmer after she has eaten and see if she stops or continues to throw up. I make mine chill for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating, mostly because I am so afraid of bloat.

#9 ·
Foods can cause a little vomiting for several reasons. Some that I know of are; gobbling up too much and too quickly to digest, which is normal for carnivores. The food might be too rich for the pup, or the change from one brand of food to another might have been too quick.
If I didn't think it was one of these things, I'd probably ask my vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
WE are super uptight about the "NO RUNNING AROUND AFTER EATING" rule in our house. We hold fast to the 30-60 minute plan. I think GSD's are more prone to hurling and worse when they have full stomachs and zorch around.

Scarlett now knows to go relax after eating. It took some time, but she's very good about it now.

We went from Blue Buffalo to Royal Canin and back. Scarlett's poops could win contests for perfection. :) Only dog owners can appreciate a poop contest, eh? :0)

Sounds like you have to be more uptight...fun spoiler and all. Anything we can do to reduce the chance of bloat or torsion is worth it, even if it makes us the most un-fun dog parents of all.

I am proud of that title. :)

#12 ·
oh yeah, scarlettsmom, i'm with you and very proud of my "un-fun mom" title.

#16 ·
Thanks guys/gals....I only had it happen once and since then like others here I've employed a no play time after eating. I have also started soaking the food.

The routine now a days is prep his meal, then while his meal soaks we go for a good walk/run ( bout 15-20 mins) so he's good a tuckered out, then feed him and watch him plop afterwards. He's doing really well with this regimen. =)

Who knew this would be such a learning experience? (which I'm thoroughly enjoying thankfully)

I've always had cats and have been spoiled by their easy maintenance. =P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.