German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Sudden dull, patchy coat, unusual shedding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/196357-sudden-dull-patchy-coat-unusual-shedding.html)

Dotty 12-14-2012 04:27 PM

Sudden dull, patchy coat, unusual shedding

Our 13 mos GSD that eats EVO turkey and chicken kibble.
Has never had a problem with this food.
Her shedding is very unusual, coming out in chunks. Not the undercoat.
She is really itchy, Benadryl doesn't help. I do put some cream on the raw spots. Her coat is so dull! A stranger even commented that she looks shaggy today.

She was babysat for a week and they brushed her, I think she was over brushed, she has no undercoat left.

Question:
Could it be attributed to the over grooming?

Her father has food allergies and has to have salmon protein food. We just bought the same in EVO

She looks awful!

GatorBytes 12-14-2012 05:20 PM

Was she recently spayed or vaccinated? Were you using heartworm/flea/tick prevention?

msvette2u 12-14-2012 05:44 PM

It could be fleas, or mites (mange) or even dog lice. A vet visit is in order.

(unless you are using a Furminator, yes, those can damage coat)

Jax08 12-14-2012 05:50 PM

allergies, thyroid?

JeanKBBMMMAAN 12-14-2012 06:13 PM

Has she been in heat?

Pictures?

Dotty 12-14-2012 06:44 PM

Thanks guys

Nothing unusual at all except for the over brushing. Her complete undercoat is gone.
I am thinking they used a furminator.

No vaccines, no changes.

It is just weird.
I will take pics now. Let me see if the sore areas are where the undercoat is gone.

msvette2u 12-14-2012 06:46 PM

Yeah it's the furminator. Have you run one across your arm??

They are supposed to use it for no more than 5min., and they are supposed to use it at the same pressure you'd use to PET the dog. VERY light touch.

They just overdid it w/the furminator ;)

Dotty 12-14-2012 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay here are the pics.
Her coat is thinner in the areas around her hind legs, and waist. That is where the raw areas are concentrated.

She used to be so fluffy :(

It doesn't really explain the dull coat. Maybe it is the cheap training treats too?

I just called her Doctor anyway. We had taken her in for scabby itchy ears, maybe it has to do with that.

We don't have a lot of bug problems with dogs in our area, it is urban, maybe a flea here and there, but thats it.

Oh I don't know, she is just uncomfortable.

The shedding is weird too, I know what shedding like having a shedder for 15 years, it was pretty systematic, but this is just chunks here and there, straggly.

onyx'girl 12-14-2012 07:17 PM

Have her thyroid checked. If that is from a furminator I feel really bad for the dog.

Dotty 12-14-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 2655732)
If that is from a furminator I feel really bad for the dog.

ugh