How does his gait look? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

boy you can really see the problem here -- right carpal (wrist-pastern) folding in (on inside) . If he were a horse the farrier would give him a custom shoe. If he were a person he would be said to super pronate with the ankle falling inward and foot pointing out - and you would have a corrective shoe or an orthotic device to insert into your shoe. The twisting stresses the muscles of the leg -- or in the dogs case his forelimbs , weight shifted from side to side -- AND when weight is not properly distributed the muscles in the back are involved and cause discomfort , pain , reducing endurance .
Here is an illustration of a horse - to illustrate the position of the legs nicely
Some horses can perform unusual gaits thanks to a single mutation.
R.T. Sigurdsson/Arctic Images/ArcticPhoto \

pace in slow motion - equine

so your latest video with Hans in the yard definitely shows that he SELECTS the pace as his motion pattern.

You can retrain him on lead beside you - when he goes into the pace give him a nudge to unsettle his balance and see if he doesn't flip into a trot . You would be surprised at how many times I look through Sieger show tapes and still pictures and the dogs are clearly in a pace and some of them just setting out so no reason to be tired or out of condition. This is counterproductive to a herding dog .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

good video of canines moving at pace

great video --- the primer -- of what GSD's look like in PACE because they are all pacing , also draw attention to dog not being able to stand for examination by judge - I would "you're outta here" him (frame 1:25 on)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

He's not quite a year too right - so maybe the repetition is not his deal right now?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great video's Carmen.
Can you explain more about cantering and when a dog would do it in normal situations?

To the OP, no help for what your dog is doing but impressed that you've trained him to use a treadmill. Wish I could train my husband to use one.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

in the most recent video you can see his feet flatten and toes spread wide out , the side shot show his back shortening , tensing over his loin.-- see previous comments about movement affecting back muscles.
I pay a whole lot of attention to the front where it all happens (or not) .
Can you do more side views or a casual side stack to see what his front assembly is like to see if this is due to an imbalance of front to rear .

what can you do -- have the dog looked at by a canine massage/chiropracter/accupuncturist. If you were closer I could show you points just above the pelvis where you can touch with slight finger tip pressure and see muscles flick , just like the high school biology class where you stimulated a dead frogs muscles with mild electrical stimulation and got that flick.

muscle use has motor memory and he is young and if tension is released he can be retrained.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
in the most recent video you can see his feet flatten and toes spread wide out , the side shot show his back shortening , tensing over his loin.-- see previous comments about movement affecting back muscles.
I pay a whole lot of attention to the front where it all happens (or not) .
Can you do more side views or a casual side stack to see what his front assembly is like to see if this is due to an imbalance of front to rear .

what can you do -- have the dog looked at by a canine massage/chiropracter/accupuncturist. If you were closer I could show you points just above the pelvis where you can touch with slight finger tip pressure and see muscles flick , just like the high school biology class where you stimulated a dead frogs muscles with mild electrical stimulation and got that flick.

muscle use has motor memory and he is young and if tension is released he can be retrained.

This is the video-- YouTube is almost finished fixing the lighting on it.
IMG 0118 - YouTube
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cantering - sure -- if my dog , thinking of Sabrina , wants to quick step it , she falls out of a trot and enters a canter . This is what it looks like
this is nicely balanced efficient , co-ordinated working trot and then Sammy the subject dog enters into a nice canter

this (another dog) is going full tilt speed into a gallop Slowmotion: Dog - YouTube
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

okay sunflowers look at the side view frame 33 on , you can see a dip in the back mid section point which eventually lines up with a bike handle bar ? in the background. Can you see the back rounding up and moving like a caterpillar inch wormy . Also is your mount moveable ? Do the dog again on the treadmill with the mount moved back . You have given him too much treadmill behind him but his front is falling on the edge of the front end of the moving part . You are preventing him from extending forward !!!
This is a problem with my treadmill , the whole thing is too short for an adult so I use it for my youngest pups .
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
okay sunflowers look at the side view frame 33 on , you can see a dip in the back mid section point which eventually lines up with a bike handle bar ? in the background. Can you see the back rounding up and moving like a caterpillar inch wormy . Also is your mount moveable ? Do the dog again on the treadmill with the mount moved back . You have given him too much treadmill behind him but his front is falling on the edge of the front end of the moving part . You are preventing him from extending forward !!!

OMG!!!

I will definitely do this this afternoon. Thank you so much!

Husband and I are going out the door in a minute-- but I will definitely be back!

The darned thing was set up wrong.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.