German Shepherds Forum banner

Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Drunlu 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Please see attached pictures. Just want to get some input on my 14 week old male GSD. I've been keeping a close eye on his front legs and notice more of an angle in the pasterns than I would like, but want some more experienced opinions. I've been reading a lot about it and some people say genetics, some say diet, some say exercise, and some say flooring. There was a good thread about a pup named Jager but the OP never gave an update. Carmen if you read this - please input any info. Sounds like you know a lot about this topic. I read about your bone broths but haven't tried anything yet. When we went to the vet for the second check up, I asked about it but she said I shouldn't worry yet because he will probably grow out of it. The third time I brought Drago in for a check up, we got another vet and he basically said the same thing. He asked about the breeder, sam, and dire. Dad was OFA-excellent, working line. Mom was OFA-good, also working line.

He is on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. 28% protein. I heard 23% is close to optimal.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems like he has inherited this as a structual fault from his sire , so evenutally will look like him . Feet on both adults could be better . They are a little long in toe and could use better padding .

check out some former threads with collapsed or down pasterns as a topic.

you need to support collagen / ligament / cartilage through nutrition .

#4 ·
Hey thanks Carmen. If I start working on his nutrition now, do you think there is any hope to fight the genetic side of the problem? Also, limit his exercise now or just exercise on soft surfaces? He does walk on tile/wood occasionally in the house. We also have 4 stairs to climb to get into the house, but I normally carry him although sometimes he darts down if he really needs to eliminate.

#5 ·
excercise is good to help with bone density . let him be normal - he does not need to be carried . the excercise you want is forward , regulated speed and direction so no wild twists and turns , abrupt starts and stops . Gradual . Nothing over done . Nutritional support helps but there is a conformational , genetic component.

#6 ·
How will this hinder him in the future if he doesn't grow out of it like the vets said? I've been stressing about this the last few days and want to know what I should do? Should I go ahead and try a lower protein diet? Raspberries, etc? Joint supplements? Swimming?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.