Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??

Hey everyone. Please see attached pictures. Just want to get some input on my 14 week old male GSD. I've been keeping a close eye on his front legs and notice more of an angle in the pasterns than I would like, but want some more experienced opinions. I've been reading a lot about it and some people say genetics, some say diet, some say exercise, and some say flooring. There was a good thread about a pup named Jager but the OP never gave an update. Carmen if you read this - please input any info. Sounds like you know a lot about this topic. I read about your bone broths but haven't tried anything yet. When we went to the vet for the second check up, I asked about it but she said I shouldn't worry yet because he will probably grow out of it. The third time I brought Drago in for a check up, we got another vet and he basically said the same thing. He asked about the breeder, sam, and dire. Dad was OFA-excellent, working line. Mom was OFA-good, also working line.

He is on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. 28% protein. I heard 23% is close to optimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-dragoleg1.jpg   Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-dragoleg2.jpg   Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-dragoleg3.jpg   Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-dragoleg4.jpg  
Drunlu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are pics of mom and dad. Mom looks great to me. What about dad?
Attached Thumbnails
Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-bruno.jpg   Down pasterns/Carpal subluxation??-foxy.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Seems like he has inherited this as a structual fault from his sire , so evenutally will look like him . Feet on both adults could be better . They are a little long in toe and could use better padding .

check out some former threads with collapsed or down pasterns as a topic.

you need to support collagen / ligament / cartilage through nutrition .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey thanks Carmen. If I start working on his nutrition now, do you think there is any hope to fight the genetic side of the problem? Also, limit his exercise now or just exercise on soft surfaces? He does walk on tile/wood occasionally in the house. We also have 4 stairs to climb to get into the house, but I normally carry him although sometimes he darts down if he really needs to eliminate.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

excercise is good to help with bone density . let him be normal - he does not need to be carried . the excercise you want is forward , regulated speed and direction so no wild twists and turns , abrupt starts and stops . Gradual . Nothing over done . Nutritional support helps but there is a conformational , genetic component.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

How will this hinder him in the future if he doesn't grow out of it like the vets said? I've been stressing about this the last few days and want to know what I should do? Should I go ahead and try a lower protein diet? Raspberries, etc? Joint supplements? Swimming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.