German Shepherds Forum banner

My puppy limps after playing

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  GSDElsa 
#1 ·
I have a 10 month old male German shepherd pup named Clif. He loves to play and is full of energy. Some weekends when we are visiting family he plays with two other dogs (he knows them well now) and the backyard is all cement. Whenever we leave there after a weekend Clif limps around for a few days. We think it is just because of the cement and non stop playing but I wanted to ask if anyone else encountered similar things or had any other thoughts about it. Any help would be appreciated =]

#3 ·
The first time I noticed it was the front legs but he seemed to be walking weird all together this last weekend. I didnt check his paws, I'll have to do that and see. I wasnt sure if the muscles in there arms and legs get sore like humans when we push ourselves to hard?.

#4 ·
You need to have the dog checked at the vet. It could be elbow dysplasia. You'll need a vet check + x rays.

If you can let them play anywhere but concrete that'd help, too, I'm sure.

#5 ·
Could also be Pano (growing pains), it can move from leg to leg, especially after hard playing. Limit activity and see if he improves, or if you want a vet visit would ease your mind.

#11 ·
My puppy hated cutting her nails when she was you her too. I worked on it by getting her real tired, and then rewarding her for holding her feet when she laid down. I then moved to holding feet and treating after I tapped toes with the clippers. From there we loved to clipping and treating. It was a struggle when she was younger, but she wags her tail when the clippers come out now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.