Grim, UTI, Some Crystals, some protein, No blood - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Grim, UTI, Some Crystals, some protein, No blood

Just got the call from the vet. Routine physical - no problems. Bloodwork fine. He is fine energy wise and is moving very well.

He was neutered last fall due to enlarged prostate-He is 9.5

Vet is calling in an antibiotic so we can get started tonight and is mailing me an herbal (she is a good distance away) supplement to help then recheck after course of antibiotics.

Any insights there?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Complete guess...

I wonder if he's having a hard time completely emptying his bladder? For instance can he squat or lift his leg long enough? I was just thinking of the issues he's had over the last year with his legs and back?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well he does squat and seems to do ok with it, and only recently he has gone back to lifting his leg.

I may need to encourage him to drink more water - he has not been a big drinker

But now that you mention it we used to be in awe of how long this dog could urinate-don't laugh it was like an endless stream. It seems to be coming out ok (no dribbling, steady)

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I have had success with my UTI/crystals girl in using cranberry capsules. 400mg per 20lbs body weight. Abby will eat anything so pilling her is a breeze, but you can break open the capsules and dust it over food for a more finicky dog. I also always add water to her food.

Be aware that the urine will burn out your grass
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The back yard is all woods. I will ask about that after - we use it for my mother who is in a wheelchair. The vet is holistic.

Yes I add water to his food, may be going to add even more. He will eat anything but I think because I do add water, he does not drink much at all. Toby was my last dog who was finicky - Grim, I can even hold a pill in my hand and he will take it.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Vet called back after I mentioned the constipation yesterday and she is sending a homeopathic for this said it brought forward a new constllation....she said UTIs can be sneaky and cause other symptoms. Grim is such a happy dog he really has to feel very bad to act not right. And he has been acting so fine.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hope Grim is going to be O.K.

Below is a read about types, causes and treatments

Treatment and Prevention of Kidney and Bladder Stones - Whole Dog Journal Article
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thanks that looks like a very in depth article I can read before I return for the next urinalysis. ............

Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Got a copy of the test results and one of the things the vet gave me is a kidney support (Resources Urinary Tract Support) that contains, among other things, cranberry.

His CBC and Chem panel was normal with the exception of a very slightly elevated BUN (ref range 9-27, value 28) but I think that is typical of a dog fed a higher protein diet.

This is what was on the urinalysis:
Color-Yellow
Clarity-Hazy
Nitrate-Neg
Urobilinogin-Abnormal>0.2
Protein-1+
Ph 7.5
Blood-Neg
Sp Gr 1.038
Ketones 1+
Bilirubin Negative
Glucose Negative
Microscopic, 0-2 EPIs-- No RBCs--0-2 hyaline casts--2+ triple phosphate crystals --No bacteria -- No other formed elements noted.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Got a copy of the test results and one of the things the vet gave me is a kidney support (Resources Urinary Tract Support) that contains, among other things, cranberry.

His CBC and Chem panel was normal with the exception of a very slightly elevated BUN (ref range 9-27, value 28) but I think that is typical of a dog fed a higher protein diet.

This is what was on the urinalysis:
Color-Yellow
Clarity-Hazy
Nitrate-Neg
Urobilinogin-Abnormal>0.2
Protein-1+
Ph 7.5
Blood-Neg
Sp Gr 1.038
Ketones 1+
Bilirubin Negative
Glucose Negative
Microscopic, 0-2 EPIs-- No RBCs--0-2 hyaline casts--2+ triple phosphate crystals --No bacteria -- No other formed elements noted.
His PH is 7.5 - does the vet think the high alkaline responsible for crystals? 6.5 is the dogs PH, especailly would be more acidic if high protein diet, does vet have thoughts on what the cause of that (alk.) in of itself?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.