Looks as if Kira does have an ear issue. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Eyes and ears for me are always something that can't be put off, because they are painful and can get nasty very quickly.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How much shaking and scratching is she doing? Is it just a couple times you've noticed it or is it really bothering her?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Geez.. You guys mean business.

I'll shuffle my appointments for tomorrow, and get her in the vet sometime during the afternoon.

I feel bad for her.. Her ear is floppy looking, and she has a pathetic face
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought you just noticed her scratching it a couple times and that's it. A droopy ear is usually a pretty good indicator of an inner ear infection. The pathetic face means she's probably in pain.

A vet appointment would probably be your best bet.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes take her in because if they shake their head too much they can end up with a hematoma of the ear and fixing that can be very costly and with or without surgery the ear may never stand up again. This happened with my last dog .
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Could be a grass seed or something in the ear too best to have it checked, hope she'll be good as new again soon!
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, you guys worry about ears a lot more than I do. I have been able to successfully treat minor ear infections at home using regular commercial ear cleaners, or a vinegar/alcohol solution. I've never needed to rush off to the vet unless it was something that wouldn't clear up with home care.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If I had a dog prone to ear infections I would do things on my own as I would probably develop a sense of what I am looking at but I have not had a single ear infection with any dog (3) since Toby who passed away in 2007--so if one of mine were to start it would go to the vet. I think this is Kira's first one....

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

But, it's a new issue, and that coupled with the fact if you stick something in the ear and the ear drum is not intact you can permanently damage the inner ear, the vet needs to make the diagnosis and check the inner ear to make sure the ear drum is there before putting anything into it.

Our vet told us ages ago, if we get a dog that has a gunky ear, to make sure the eardrum was intact first - if we couldn't ascertain that and they were closed at the time, we were only to use saline solution to clean the ear, because it's one of the few things that won't damage the inner ear permanently.

Quote:
-so if one of mine were to start it would go to the vet. I think this is Kira's first one....
This.
Libby, after a lifetime of good ears, recently developed itching, scratching and holding her ear wonky, indicating pain at the least or pain/itching.
I brought her right in, now that we have the medication, if she starts acting like that again, we administer the medication right away and see if it clears in a few days.

Going to the vet is never a bad idea
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post

Going to the vet is never a bad idea
Oh I agree, not saying he shouldn't go to the vet--just saying, minor ear infections (little to no gunk, no bad smell) is not one of those things where I drop everything and run. My Akbash dog had recurring yeast infections in one ear; I would do the "sniff test" on his ears often, especially if I noticed him holding one ear funny. I'd then clean his ears well with solution and squirt in some medicated ointment, which I always try to keep on hand. The infection would clear up within a week or so.

Then again, I have an ear scope so I can tell if there's a foreign body in there as opposed to a mild infection or irritation. If there's a foxtail or something, then yeah, I don't waste too much time getting to the vet if I can't get it out myself. And if you don't have medication on hand, that's another good reason to go to the vet. If he prescribes a tube of ointment or drops, see if you can't get two, so if it recurs, you have something at home to treat with.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.