German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/195989-vetericyn-ophthalmic-gel.html)

Mooch 12-09-2012 08:36 AM

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel
 
Has anyone used this stuff?

I read so many great reviews about the spray for hot spots that I'm going to order some :)
I saw the eye ointment and was wondering if anyone had used it? Both my dogs get gunky eyes every now and then so I was wondering if it might be a handy thing to have in the first aid kit.
My only worry is that eyes are so delicate and I can't seem to find the ingredients for the Veterycin anywhere.

Anyone have any other recommendations for eye washes etc?

cheers

Mooch 12-09-2012 08:52 AM

Hm found the ingredients for the spray - Hypochlorous Acid (pretty much chlorine bleach at a different ph level) some pages I've read state it's toxic others say it isn't - who knows LOL
Guess it's not so bad on skin but I think I'd rather not risk it on eyes :)

Courtney 12-09-2012 09:30 AM

Never used the eye product, but have the spray...it heals the infected/injured spot rapidly. I like that it can be applied several times per day, has no smell.

Great product to have on hand!

ShatteringGlass 12-09-2012 06:58 PM

I have used the wound spray and had amazing results. My parent's cat had gotten a nasty burn on the side of his face (he was laying to close to the heater), and that stuff cleared up the infection and new hair grew back fast, you can't even tell anything happened.

GatorBytes 12-09-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch (Post 2650882)
Hm found the ingredients for the spray - Hypochlorous Acid (pretty much chlorine bleach at a different ph level) some pages I've read state it's toxic others say it isn't - who knows LOL
Guess it's not so bad on skin but I think I'd rather not risk it on eyes :)


I found this ( I think it was aforum of type - not sure and not sure if true expl. of ingr.) Basically bleach component and saline (salt water) - The spray - IDK about the eye gel

Electrolysed water (EOW or EO, also known as electrolyzed oxidizing water, electro-activated water or electro-chemically activated water solution) is produced by the electrolysis of ordinary tap water containing dissolved sodium chloride.[1] The electrolysis of such salt solutions produces a solution of sodium hypochlorite, which is the most common ingredient in store-bought household bleach. (Wikipedia)

Sodium phosphate - is a saline laxative which works by attracting water to itself and flushing out the system. In this case its used to keep the wound hydrated

Sodium chloride - table salt without the iodine. Same action as sodium phosphate. Together these two things create what is called a gradient which draws moisture out of the cells of the bacteria and fungi, into the wound, thereby mechanically killing the bacterial and fungal cells.

Hypochlorous acid - is also a bleach

m1953 12-09-2012 08:48 PM

My trainer recommended it for ear mites and ear irritation. Works great.

m1953 12-09-2012 08:52 PM

Expensive though. 24 dollars for a little 4 oz bottle of the liquid type for ears. Good for those hotspots too.

Chicagocanine 12-09-2012 11:43 PM

I have used the gel, the liquid, and the ear stuff. I love it. I was using the regular spray, and one of my cats kept having gunky ears (lot of wax buildup, but no infections) so I asked my vet if she could order the Vetericyn ear formula for me. She did and after I used it a little, my cat no longer had the gunky ears anymore even after I stopped... I haven't used the eye one, but I would.

Niko831 12-10-2012 04:17 PM

We haven't used the gel, but the spray. Sadly, it did not help our Niko with his allergic skin.

msvette2u 12-10-2012 04:40 PM

It wouldn't help allergies, per se, but would help with secondary bacterial infections.
It will kill bacteria and fungus, making it extremely useful in skin and ear infections.
We've just cleared up a Basset's ear which was horribly infected, with 5 days of Vetericyn.
It's very expensive, I agree, the only drawback to it of course.

For an eye infection we use triple antibiotic (with blessing from our vet), or if it's a new issue and doesn't clear up within a day or so using triple antibiotic ointment, the dog goes to the vet.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2