German Shepherds Forum banner

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Chicagocanine 
#1 ·
Has anyone used this stuff?

I read so many great reviews about the spray for hot spots that I'm going to order some :)
I saw the eye ointment and was wondering if anyone had used it? Both my dogs get gunky eyes every now and then so I was wondering if it might be a handy thing to have in the first aid kit.
My only worry is that eyes are so delicate and I can't seem to find the ingredients for the Veterycin anywhere.

Anyone have any other recommendations for eye washes etc?

cheers

#2 ·
Hm found the ingredients for the spray - Hypochlorous Acid (pretty much chlorine bleach at a different ph level) some pages I've read state it's toxic others say it isn't - who knows LOL
Guess it's not so bad on skin but I think I'd rather not risk it on eyes :)

#5 · (Edited)
I found this ( I think it was aforum of type - not sure and not sure if true expl. of ingr.) Basically bleach component and saline (salt water) - The spray - IDK about the eye gel

Electrolysed water (EOW or EO, also known as electrolyzed oxidizing water, electro-activated water or electro-chemically activated water solution) is produced by the electrolysis of ordinary tap water containing dissolved sodium chloride.[1] The electrolysis of such salt solutions produces a solution of sodium hypochlorite, which is the most common ingredient in store-bought household bleach. (Wikipedia)

Sodium phosphate - is a saline laxative which works by attracting water to itself and flushing out the system. In this case its used to keep the wound hydrated

Sodium chloride - table salt without the iodine. Same action as sodium phosphate. Together these two things create what is called a gradient which draws moisture out of the cells of the bacteria and fungi, into the wound, thereby mechanically killing the bacterial and fungal cells.

Hypochlorous acid - is also a bleach

#4 ·
I have used the wound spray and had amazing results. My parent's cat had gotten a nasty burn on the side of his face (he was laying to close to the heater), and that stuff cleared up the infection and new hair grew back fast, you can't even tell anything happened.

#8 ·
I have used the gel, the liquid, and the ear stuff. I love it. I was using the regular spray, and one of my cats kept having gunky ears (lot of wax buildup, but no infections) so I asked my vet if she could order the Vetericyn ear formula for me. She did and after I used it a little, my cat no longer had the gunky ears anymore even after I stopped... I haven't used the eye one, but I would.

#10 ·
It wouldn't help allergies, per se, but would help with secondary bacterial infections.
It will kill bacteria and fungus, making it extremely useful in skin and ear infections.
We've just cleared up a Basset's ear which was horribly infected, with 5 days of Vetericyn.
It's very expensive, I agree, the only drawback to it of course.

For an eye infection we use triple antibiotic (with blessing from our vet), or if it's a new issue and doesn't clear up within a day or so using triple antibiotic ointment, the dog goes to the vet.

#11 ·
Yeah....be really careful about what you put in your dog's eyes.
If your dog's eyes are a bit gunky on and off it could be an allergy type thing especially at this time of year (being in OZ) Chloroptsone is a good one for clearing this type of thing up but is vet only as you never want to put this in an eye that has say, an ulcer as it has cortisone in it.
When they are gunky have a vet look at them and get some ointment specific to that.
Eyes are very sensitive.....personally.....I would talk to a vet before putting anything in them.:)

#12 ·
Yeah I'm feeling the same way Sparra :)
I think it's just allergy related, she did have conjunctivitis a couple of month ago but it's nothing like that this time, it's actually just the corner of her eye (the actual furry skin where it joins the nose) thats a bit pink looking - I think it may have been scratched when they were playing and now the normal "tears" are irritating the area. her actual eyeball itself is fine.
I had thought it may be allergy related, hay fever is bad for the humans in the family atm so why not the dogs too.

#13 ·
My cat had a nasty upper respiratory infection as young a kitten when I rescued him and a few recurring infections, and had some ongoing eye issues due to that. I looked up the Vetericyn eye wash and gel and they have a lot of good reviews so I'm thinking of trying one of them. I'm going to ask my vet what she thinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.