German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@ (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/195962-post-spay-less-mature.html)

marshies 12-08-2012 06:49 PM

Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@

So 3 weeks ago I was writing love letters all over Facebook and the forum raving about how mature Puppy has gotten, and what an enjoyable adult she has become.

I spayed her 3 weeks ago, and have noticed that she's reverting back to some of her more puppy-ish behaviours.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

For example, before-spay, she settled beautifully at night on the bed, and would sleep until the morning with just an early bathroom break. Now, she wakes up at night to chew on things, sniffs the bed, and just doesn't want to settle. Last night, she chewed off my iphone case and made dents on my brand new phone! :eek:

Another example would be, pre-spay, after meeting her exercise needs, she would settle down and nap in the house. Post-spay, she will get herself into trouble by grabbing things that she has LONG learned are unacceptable.

Pre-spay, we would let her outside in the backyard, she would potty, and come right back in. Now, she would go outside, dig herself all muddy, and then come back in without pottying.

Outside, we had been working on engagement with me and ignoring the environment and made great progress. After our little 2 week exercise ban, she goes outside and was so distracted and reactive...:(

Has anyone else experienced this?! What happened to my great mature dog, and why is she such a PUPPY again?!

I'm obviously upping the training and exercise given the circumstances, but I'm baffled. The vets gave her a clear bill of health and said she has healed beautifully.

msvette2u 12-08-2012 07:01 PM

I'd say upping the exercise is necessary, she sounds bored ;)

A lot of times people alter their pets as their pets are maturing and doing different things, so the two coincide, but that's all it is, a coincidence.

She may be feeling "better", too, as opposed to the influx of hormones that go with sexual maturity.

marshies 12-08-2012 07:07 PM

She does sound bored...but I'm confused since NOTHING else has changed. Since she has heeled, her exercise level has stayed the same...

selzer 12-08-2012 07:07 PM

I have heard that if you spay a puppy, they will remain a puppy forever.

Forever...

Yeah, I don't believe it either, but it got you thinking.

Freestep 12-08-2012 07:16 PM

That's interesting, I don't know why a dog would suddenly revert to a previous behavioral phase after spay surgery.

It's possible, I suppose, that her hormones are still out of whack. Was she in heat, or close to it, when she was spayed? It takes about 6 weeks post-surgery for the hormones to settle down.

I've heard that bitches can have a temporary increase in testosterone right after spaying, which if true, could explain her extra energy and "naughtiness".

How old is she now?

marshies 12-08-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 2650561)
I have heard that if you spay a puppy, they will remain a puppy forever.

Forever...

Yeah, I don't believe it either, but it got you thinking.

I didn't think about that when I spayed her. I had always wanted to spay her, and the timing was just good for us.

I hope she doesn't turn back into a puppy...I liked the lady that she was...lady...

marshies 12-08-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 2650564)
That's interesting, I don't know why a dog would suddenly revert to a previous behavioral phase after spay surgery.

It's possible, I suppose, that her hormones are still out of whack. Was she in heat, or close to it, when she was spayed? It takes about 6 weeks post-surgery for the hormones to settle down.

I've heard that bitches can have a temporary increase in testosterone right after spaying, which if true, could explain her extra energy and "naughtiness".

How old is she now?

She is 16 months. She just ended her heat. The vet commented that her uterus was fairly large.

Her behavior is the same one that I had experienced maybe 7 months old?

RocketDog 12-08-2012 07:47 PM

I think there is a bit of wax and wane as dogs mature. Rocket went through these "waves", and I don't think they are affected by s/n. I think many dogs get "fixed" during these waves, when in reality they will even out as the dog matures. Just be patient and consistent--she'll be back to her "lady-like" self soon. :)

Shade 12-08-2012 08:45 PM

I've always spayed females at 6 months and they've never acted wonky afterwards, interesting...

I would agree it probably have to do with the hormones after being spayed older or just out of heat :confused:

msvette2u 12-09-2012 03:38 AM

It's funny you should say that...(her being a "lady). My Libby was spayed as a 5-6mos. old puppy and never did chew things up or be naughty.

I have a 3yr. old Doxie that's as immature about chewing and getting into things as heck. She was allowed to have her 1st heat and was spayed @ 1yr.

I think it's as much the dog's temperament as anything.

It's also funny about dogs that stay puppies forever because (compared to wolves) domesticated dogs never "mature" fully as they age.
An Excerpt from Chapter 2: A Dog’s Life