Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@ - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catu View Post
And don't forget she's still an adolescent dog. With or without reproductive organs they test the patience of anyone at this age and if you search a quick search on the forum you'll find a lot of people in the same situation as you. If being spayed had an effect on her, if... I'd say it's anecdotal.
I'm just baffled. She was perfect from September till December, so I thought that was her maturing.

My dog trainer said exactly what you said - adolescent dog. I am frustrated, but motivated to do right by her, and have that angel that I know is within re-emerge with consistent training, leadership, and guidance.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Marshies....your trainer is right.....she is simply a healthy, energetic, full of personality, adolescent dog.
Maturity comes with *age*.....not with training or enviroment...
Just be fair and consistant with her.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
both of which may have calming, anti-anxiety effects."
"may". Not "do".

I mean...people all over the world have calm spayed females
My Libby is so calm and has never misbehaved or chewed anything, she was just born an old soul and never had much puppy antics -spayed @ 6mos.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
She barked once, her long lead slipped out of my hand and charged my friend, jumped up, and nipped her hand. She has NEVER done that before.
This behaviour, in my less than expert opinion, extends beyond the frustrations we experience during "adolescence". Being challenged, ignored and dealing with a suddenly stubborn dog is one thing but a lunge and bite is another. Was there any damage to your friend? A stranger may not have seen it the same way.

I'm sure you are on the right track and lots of great advice here but more attention might need to be given to this incident.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This link gives a slight explaination as how the spay can affect hormones

Early Dog Spaying and Neutering Effects

I am not posting this as a suggestion that your dog is heading towards cushings...just to explain how spay affects adrenals.

Supportive therepies are listed at the bottom including what NOT to feed.

Keep in mind removing carbs (sugars) all together is a start so you would have to do raw as there is no carb free kibble

Adrenals are responsible for secreting the stress hormone - cortisol, sugars spike insulin, cortisol is released to manage insulin - sugars tax the pancreas. The pancreas, adrenals, thalamus, pituitary glands are all part of the endocrine system. It is important to get your dog in balance in order to offset possible cushings in future

Evening primrose oil may be of some help and is an EFA (GLA), and may help balance hormones to take stress off the adrenals - ashwagndha is another
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

"Teenage" dog, needing strong/fair leadership and consistent exercise and training. Needs to grow up/age. Nothing to do with spay.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
"Teenage" dog, needing strong/fair leadership and consistent exercise and training. Needs to grow up/age. Nothing to do with spay.

Remember most GSDs aren't "mature" mentally until 2-3yrs.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am to believe that the "bark, jumping up and nipping" is simply due to the fact...she knew the person, was overly excited and displayed an desired action, such as the nipping of the fingers.
*This happens to ME many times from other people's dogs....when they are over excited to see me.....and usually, they too...are young dogs.*.....any most times, NOT one of "our" dogs.
THIS action needs to be corrected....as NO ONE wants to be mauled by anyone else's dogs...(in a non aggressive way or not).
Aggression and "bad manners" are two different things...... but both are non acceptable, and need to be addressed.

Again Marshies.......you have an adolescent dog....continue with training, be fair and consistant.

Last edited by robinhuerta; 12-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I may be different in that I like a dog with spirit, a sense of fun, and a desire to try out new (appropriate) behaviors - I do not like a robotic, dull dog. Of course, in order to do this, the foundation of training and relationship is hugely important, but I would be very happy to see that my dog had the oomph to play, even if part of it was needing to run off about 2 weeks of pent up zoomies.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the problem here is the dog has regressed since spay, if this was a problem and the dog hadn't been spayed or was an ongoing problem, then yes - look at it as immaturity.

However - looking at it as behavioural ONLY is doing a disservice to the dogs health.

Never overlook behavioural changes, especially after a major surgery, post vaccination or along with other symptoms such as supposed allergies, ear infections etc.

Try RAW, carb free to start - means no carrots, potatoes, peas, other legumes.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.